News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Now here?s one that you don?t see everyday ......

• Replies 145
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I forgot... it looks like the Kaiser's tunic. Can I have it? :speechless:

Bingo, give CCJ a beer :cheers: Spot on, it is indeed one of Wilhem II?s tunics.

Edited by GdC26

Guest Rick Research

My vision's blurring... can't ... breathe... somebody... call... an ... ambulance.....

:love::jumping::love::jumping::love::jumping::love:

My vision's blurring... can't ... breathe... somebody... call... an ... ambulance.....

:love::jumping::love::jumping::love::jumping::love:

[/quoteRcik, I wouldn?t want to be responsible for that........ should I delete the pics ......? :Cat-Scratch:

Edited by GdC26

Let me answer. Delete images and ship the Kaiser's tunic to my address to prevent further damage to others. I will keep it out of site.

Ooops, may just have added to it ...... This is the tunic I need the Saxon leather officers belt for..........

Edited by GdC26

Here are some pics of the grouping the tunic came from (unfortunately, the grouping is not in my posession) ....... These pics are courtesy of one of our other members who first tracked down this grouping ......

Here are some pics of the grouping the tunic came from (unfortunately, the grouping is not in my posession) ....... These pics are courtesy of one of our other members who first tracked down this grouping ......

And this is the gentleman these items belonged to: Freiherr Leuckart von Weissdorff (pic and info courtesy of Glenn2438 at WAF, who was key in gathering the relevant data).

"General der Kavallerie Louis Friedrich Traugott Frhr. Leuckart von Wei?dorff:

Freiherr von Leuckart was born on the 3rd of November 1857 at Dresden. He attended the Vitzthum Gymnasium followed by three Semesters at the University of Leipzig. He entered the 2. S?schs. Husaren-Regiment as a "One Year Volunteer" on the 1st of October 1877 and decided shortly after to become a career officer. Appointed as an "Avantageur (Fahnenjunker) on the 1st of January 1878, he was commissioned as a Sekonde-Lieutenant on 29th of September 1878. He was appointed Regimental Adjutant in 1881 and promoted to Premier-Lieutenant on the 17th of July 1884. From 1885 to 1888 he attended the Kriegsakademie in Berlin. Promoted to Rittmeister on 23rd October 1890 he briefly served as the Adjutant of the 3rd Saxon Cavalry Brigade Nr. 32 and on the 27th of March 1892 was transferred to the General Staff. Initially attached to the Prussian General Staff he became a staff officer in the 2nd Saxon Division

Nr. 24 in 1893.

In 1896 he was appointed as a Squadron Commander in the Garde-Reiter-Regiment and transferred to the War Ministry in 1899. He was promoted to Major on the 24th of July 1899. On the 26th of March 1903 he was assigned as the second in command of the Garde-Reiter-Regiment. Assigned as the Chief of Staff of XIX. Corps on the 20th of September 1904 he was promoted to Oberstleutnant on the 18th of November 1904. Promoted to Oberst on the 31st of May 1907 he became commander of the Garde-Reiter-Regiment on the 1st of October 1907.

Appointed as the provisional commander of the 40th Cavalry Brigade on the 1st of October 1910 he became the permanent commander on the 23rd of May 1911 followed by his promotion to Generalmajor on the 23rd of September 1911 (Patent of 21 April 1911). He was appointed as the Military Plenipotentiary and Deputy Plenipotentiary to the Bundesrat on the 22nd of December 1911 and as a General ? la suite to the King of Saxony on the 17th of June 1913. He was promoted to Generalleutnant on the 17th of March 1914 (Patent of 3 February 1914).

From the 5th of August he was the Military Plenipotentiary at Supreme Headquarters until appointed commander of the 23rd Reserve-Division and Generaladjutant on 14 February 1917. He became Military Governor of L?ttich on the 27th of March 1918 and retired on the 28th of November 1918. He was promoted to char. General der Kavallerie on the 14th of August 1919. Freiherr von Leuckart died on the 26th of February 1933."

The Paradefangschnur is of extreme Historical importance, of all things Military there is nothing that old Willi was prouder of than his Navy. I would say this is a most symbolic piece indeed.

I fully concur, Chris. Now all I need is Willi?s Naval grosser Uniform to go with it :rolleyes:

A few more, general from Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Rankinsignia are for a Generaloberst im Range eines Generalfeldmarschalls but although the boards are original, I?m not sure whether anyone ever held that rank in the Mecklenburgische Armee. Possibly, a previous owner added one or two pips. Still, a very rare tunic.

Edited by GdC26

Super... :cheers:

Thanks Charles. M-S tunics are notoriously difficult to find. I still have a 1998 Weitze catalog in which Helmut offered a complete ensemle for a later style blue M-S uniform, with helmet. POR, even in those days, but no doubt affordable by todays standards. If only we could turn back the clock (but then we would go to 1900, presumably, and not to 1998 ......) :cheers:

If only we could turn back the clock (but then we would go to 1900, presumably, and not to 1998 ......) :cheers:

GdC26,

I've told this story when I first joined the forum, but you may not have seen it. When I was 14 (back in 1964) I lived for one year with my brother and his wife who was stationed in West Berlin with the US Army. We went to an antique store one time and there were about 20-25 beautiful pickelhauben displayed on a shelf. I asked the proprietor, "How much?" and he said, "$45.00 each" for a 14 year old boy in 1964 that was a lot of money and I couldn't afford it, so I never got one. My brother has an SS dagger he purchased for $25.00 and an SA dagger he got for $15.00.

GdC26,

I've told this story when I first joined the forum, but you may not have seen it. When I was 14 (back in 1964) I lived for one year with my brother and his wife who was stationed in West Berlin with the US Army. We went to an antique store one time and there were about 20-25 beautiful pickelhauben displayed on a shelf. I asked the proprietor, "How much?" and he said, "$45.00 each" for a 14 year old boy in 1964 that was a lot of money and I couldn't afford it, so I never got one. My brother has an SS dagger he purchased for $25.00 and an SA dagger he got for $15.00.

Mike,

Memories sometimes are a cruel thing ......

My collecting memories only run back to the early 1990?s, and even that hurts, sometimes. :banger:

Regards,

Sandro

Mike,

Memories sometimes are a cruel thing ......

My collecting memories only run back to the early 1990?s, and even that hurts, sometimes. :banger:

Regards,

Sandro

Yes, I agree. my story is not imperial German but the pain is the same. I met a man who fought in WW2 in No. Africa and Italy who had an impressive AfrikaKorps souvenir collection he was selling. Caps, a few tunics, insignia, palm tree from the door of a vehicle, pennants, etc. Very expensive at the time for a 11-12 year old but all real. I think EK1 were about $15.00 and the caps $50.00. My parents would not comply. :speechless1:

I also had a neighbor who was a WW1 vet who still had his uniform, medals, and a few German medals and helmet. I was too shy to ask for them but not my neighbor. My neighbor got them after mowing the man's yard for a summer. :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, back from leave but not back in the office yet, so I thought it would be fun to revive this thread with just a few more pics. First up: a gala jacket to Max K?thner, who finished his career as a Konteradmiral. The second pic shows the place where the ribbonbar once sat (sadly, no longer part of the tunic).

Regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26