News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I think we don't yet have a thread dedicated exclusively to photos with mistakes in ribbon/medal bar wear - if there is one, please correct me.

I'm looking especially for idiosyncratic bars in wrong precedence, very strange fashion statements, outfitters' mistakes. Rick has some in the database, but there are probably more out there. Here's my first contribution:

wr1.JPG

Edited by webr55

• Replies 99
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rick Research

"PERFECT" BADDDDDDDDDDD bars!!!! :cheeky::cheers:

I haven't done any MEDAL bars in the baaaaaaaaaaad original ribbon bars section because that's outside the scope of that ongoing endless work.

Those are great photos of original period :banger: To have the exact medal bar that is IN a dated period photo is just :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I have posted this one before (I know, I know) but it is still a perfect example, too:

Generalmajor Bernhard Rathgen (1847-1927) in Strassburg 1901:

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.... :catjava:

This is all very interesting, but could you more knowledgable folks let us ignorant ones in on why these medal bars are baaaaaddd??? :rolleyes:

Ups, sorry.

Hmm, webr55's man wears his Wehrmacht long servie awards in wrong order, mine wears a oak leave that looks like the one for a 1870 Iron Cross on his WWI Baden merit medal, and Rick's General wears his Iron Cross with back on front. I guess this thread is for those people who say "there's something wrong, the bar m u s t be faked or manipulated" ... :P

Guest Rick Research

These are all original period mistakes that we would reject as

Somebody Bad Screwed Around With This

if we did not have original period evidence that such errors were actually worn.

:speechless1:

Rick Research said:
    These are all original period mistakes that we would reject as

Somebody Bad Screwed Around With This

if we did not have original period evidence that such errors were actually worn.

Yeah, that's the point. Look here: Galland wears his Sudeten medal before his LS decoration - contra regulations.

galland.jpg

Edited by webr55

Ups, sorry.

Hmm, webr55's man wears his Wehrmacht long servie awards in wrong order, mine wears a oak leave that looks like the one for a 1870 Iron Cross on his WWI Baden merit medal, and Rick's General wears his Iron Cross with back on front. I guess this thread is for those people who say "there's something wrong, the bar m u s t be faked or manipulated" ... :P

Well, I wasn't sure, but I thought those oak leaves looked strange on the WW1 Baden merit medal. :speechless:

• 5 months later...

I wonder how these mistakes occured. When a ribbon bar or medal bar was ordered from the maker did the person buying the bar tell the maker what order to put the medals or ribbon in, or did the buyer expect the maker to know the correct order? So who screwed up - the buyer or seller? You would expect the buyer to know the correct order and when he received the bar he should have seen it was incorrect.

Guest Rick Research

I "like" the Wehrmacht 4 sandwiched between the same Red Eagle ribbons for the AllgEZ and the Red Eagle Medal. :speechless1::speechless:

Mr. Rick, this is a Wehrmacht 12 ...

:rolleyes:

Paul, I think it was the outfitter who had to know this - at least when the bar was made by one. When made by the person itself those had to know how it should look like, but some didn't and though sew. So not a too big problem when a outfitter was wrong in a point ...

• 2 weeks later...

This one is so bizarre i almost suspect its reenactors messing about-

I think I see here: KVKx, Bulgarian Military merit cross,Sudetenland medal, Ostfront, 12 year Ls and Austrian 5 year LS.

The back says 3.5. 1944

Edited by Ulsterman

The two long service awards might be okay like this (are they?), but the rest is "a bit" confused ...

:speechless:

Yeah-well, at least he's got the KVkx in the right place too. The LS medals are ok as Austrians were allowed to wear one Austrian medal in tandem with their Wehrmacht LS medal.

Note he has a krim shield and a "70" on his shoulder tabs, along with a navy (signals?) patch.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

That's the army engineers assault boat helmsman's rating on the sleeve, so this is a pioneer in some unit numbered 70-- PRE-WAR style straps.

You are absolutely correct about the absolutely incorrect :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: medal bar:

KVK2X, Bulgarian SCfB, Sudeten, East 41/42, Wehrmacht 12, Austrian Bundesheer 5.

That is how Bundesheer NCOs wore two awards, but everything BUT the KVK2X is in the wrong precedence.

I wouldn't buy that medal bar, even WITH period documentation.

My sense of "order" is just too upset. Quick, someone-- fetch the smelling salts! Ah feel all come over with thuh vapors!!!!

This postcard was mailed (Feldpost) via Osthofen on 21.31.1914

In it one Feldwebel K. Scheuerwair of the 2nd Batt. Landsturm Fuss. Art. Batl.14 said basically, "Hi, things are great here-uh-how are you?"

But note his medal bar, which Rick and I pondered over at length with magnifying glasses and illuminated jewelers' eyes and alarming the lady who sold it to me (and probably ensuring that anything I ever buy from her again will cost double or triple the amount).

Baden Jubilee, Cntl, unknown medal and LS medal-

Driving home the answer came to me...frack bar...very odd. But what is medal #3 (from the left)?

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It WOULD be in correct order... if worn as a civilian Frackspange! :speechless:

Left to right (should be Down to Up)

1) 1902 Baden Jubilee Medal

2) 1897 Wilhelm I centenary Medal

3) ***

4) Baden M1913 long service medal

I betcha 3 is ALSO a baden long service medal-- and he had a regular army IX and a Baden LD2.