News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Double-buckle combat boots, with anti-tracking soles. This pair come from Inkomo Barracks QM stores. Again, their use was not restricted to the Selous Scouts.

Eric

Eric,

Just as a note, from my conversations with some of the Scouts, about the treadless footwear. Although this type of footwear was considered a minor form of ani-tracking, it had the reverse effect. If a tracker for the opposition came across tracks that had no tread pattern, it was a dead giveaway that Special Forces were operating in the area. As with the captured weapons, there were ample supplies of captured footwear that was utilized to the Scouts advantage. In some cases, depending on the terrain, the operators even resorted to taking their footwear off and going barefoot, as to cover their tracks would be too time consuming.

Cheers,

James

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got a new item in. I?ve known about this uniform for some time, but I never thought I would own it. I?ll not mention the original owners name, as he is a very private person and I respect his wishes. I am sure that some of you know this tunic and I ask you that you do not divulge the original owners name as well. All I can say is that I am very proud to own it. These photos are from one of the previous owners and I hope to have to have better ones in days to come.

Cheers,

James

James,

There is the same kind of comment in Chris Cocks' "Fireforce", though on the rubber & canvas so-called "clandestine" boots.

Hi Eric,

Just as furtherance to the discussion on the treadles footwear, here is a photo of the footwear that was originally worn in the bush wars.

Cheers,

James

Nery nice James,

Are you going to put it on a mannequin with the stable belt&bucke?

Cheers Chris.

Hi Chris,

I don't think the stable belt was ever worn with the dress greens. The officers did wear the Sam Browne style set up with cross belt. I'd like to get it set up with that on a suit form.

Cheers,

James

James,

Very nice catch, I must say.

My most interesting Greens is that if an Engineer Sergeant, Para qualified, attached Special Forces Brigade.

Thanks for the pic of clandestine boots. I don't have a pair of these - at GPB 180 in average, they are simply outside my financial possibilities at present.

Cheers

Eric

• 9 months later...

I finally have the uniform completed enough to put up for show. Although the beret is not an officer?s version, it was not uncommon for officers to wear EM's berets. The uniform was a Selous Scouts Officers. The Sam Browne belt belonged to an SAS officer. The original owner of the uniform was also in the SAS and the remnants of SAS wings are clearly still there.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 years later...

Hi,

a quick brain pick although I had a similar quesion 5 years ago...

A set of numbered but not issued wings... what is a realistic price?

I dont mean a "if you are lucky on ebay you can get them for USD50" or a "millionaire Russian collector paid USD1000 for one with the number corresponding to his birthdate"... but rather a fair market price... what do SA dealers take for them?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I have seen these things go all over the board. I've seen the numbered/unissued wings go for $50-$450.00. I know of a set of numbered wings that were issued to the Boss, which went for over $5900.00US. Depending on how fast you want to sell them and how low the number is, will determine a good starting point for an asking price.

Cheers,

James

Hi,

a quick brain pick although I had a similar quesion 5 years ago...

A set of numbered but not issued wings... what is a realistic price?

I dont mean a "if you are lucky on ebay you can get them for USD50" or a "millionaire Russian collector paid USD1000 for one with the number corresponding to his birthdate"... but rather a fair market price... what do SA dealers take for them?

Thanks

Chris

• 2 months later...

Does anyone recognise anything here???

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/49051-newer-iraqi-items/page__gopid__451617

I would imagine there are some Rhodesian/South African advisors involved in this unit?

Can you say "rip off". This will likely piss some people off, whether some former Scouts served there or not.

• 2 months later...

Chris - we had a very nice set of un-numbered wings and a cap badge - both genuine - and I let them go for about Rands 2500/3000 - can't remember exactly. However, if you sell in the US then they would go much higher. As a point of interest I recently bought a box with - I'm told every stable belt - incl. SAS Grey's and Selous. Haven't been through-it but have no reason to have doubt. Should anyone need one for a display let me know and I will send a picture.