News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hallo Rosenberg,

From:http://www.militarytrader.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2030&articleid=6449&articlemid=5651#5651Articles

Tommy?s Infantry Helmets of WWII by Peter Suciu, (a GMIC Member) :jumping::jumping:

The MkIII shell, which is often called a ?turtle shell,? does resemble the shell of the small animal, and in many ways seems reminiscent of the American Liberty Bell helmet from nearly 25 years earlier. The helmet provided greater protection for the wearer and was popular with the troops.

The liner was mounted via a single screw, much like the MkII. It was decided to refine this method. Instead of a screw, a fixed fastener stud was attached at the dome. This allowed the liner to be removed from the helmet via a system known as ?lift-the-dot.? This allowed the shell to remain watertight. The chin strap lugs were mounted closer to the rim for better balance. This new helmet was dubbed the MkIV. It actually remained in service until the 1980s, being upgraded in 1959 as the MkV with a new liner made of synthetic materials.

Whether the MkIV was actually used during the closing days of WWII is left for debate. While a helmet may be dated 1945 or even 1944, it is hard to say for certain whether it ever left the supply depot in time to be issued.

And:

COLLECTING THE TOMMY?S HELMETS

Other than paratrooper helmets, British WWII helmets have never been especially popular with collectors. Those with tan paint for desert camouflage, or with divisional insignia, have traditionally been more sought after than the standard Tommy helmet. In recent years however, British helmets have increased in value.

?Just from what?s been seen on eBay and remarks on the helmet forums, I?d say there has been a rise in prices in these helmets,? says advanced helmet collector Dave Powers. He adds that the dramatic increase has been notable for specialized helmets, such as the RAC and paratrooper models.

?The helmets were ignored simply because they are British and, even to this day, collecting British and Commonwealth items is not, and never will be, as desirable as that of German or Japanese, or even American,? suggests Glenn. He adds that this is why many wartime British pieces have gone by the wayside due to lack of interest. ?There is more misinformation conjured up by gun show table idiom than there is solid data for the collector or reenactor to work from.? Despite this, the British helmets are beginning to attract interest, and it isn?t just the paratrooper helmets that have climbed in price.

Occasionally, MkV helmets are passed off as wartime, but this is essentially impossible. Collectors should carefully examine any MkIII, as there are fakes made by removing the fastener stud and drilling a hole, and then mounting a traditional MkII liner. This takes two $100 helmets but transforms one of them into a potential $500 helmet! The location of the chin strap lugs is the dead giveaway. Anyone looking to purchase a MkIII should become acquainted with the location of these lugs.

Yours seems to have the Screw device, :unsure: for confirmation I suggest you PM Peter Suciu, he is a helmet "expert".

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

That is not a MKIII helmet, if anything it is a MKII helmet. The liner may be post war and it could be any number of nationalities. It looks like it might be British, but not sure.

To tell more pics of the liner markings and shell stampings would be needed.

I haven't seen one with that style of netting on it either.

If 57 is the size marking, its not wartime English as we used sizes like 6 & 7, or as in mine 6 3/4, and these were impressed into the fibre supports along with a date (year). The net is not wartime English.

Regards,

Pete

The original helmet is a MkII, but as has been suggested the liner is post-war and could be from anywhere. I would suggest Greece as a possibility, but I wouldn't rule out Belgium.

The "Turtleshell" in the photo is also a MkIV not a MkIII. The MkIII features a screw system similar to the MkII, while the MkIV has the same basic shell but a "lift the dot" type liner attachment. Also the MkIII features a higher placement of the chinstrap rivet.

Compare the rivet placement in the shells:

My MkIII:

british_mkIII_big1.jpg

My MkIV:

british_mk4_big1.jpg

The liner looks Belgian to me (going by the colour) and if British, the size should be imperial as already mentioned. I think Belgian helmet shells have a slight indentation around the screw hole whereas Brit ones don't.

As for value, well, I'd use it as a flowerpot but you could get anything like ?10 - ?15. If Belgian, it's post 1945.

Just thought, is there any sign of flag on the side?

Tony

Don't throw it away. Worse case do you have a young relative that would like to play with it? I imagine any 10-year old boy would love to play Army with that helmet.

My first piece of militaria was a MKII 1941 dated helmet bought with a whole week's pocket money. I don't collect WWII but still have it and thought it was WWI when I bought it. I was 8 or 9 at the time.

Tony