News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who knows how many people earned the same wartime awards as Erwin Rommel with the exception of the PlM?

I would assume his combination by not be that rare, especially for Wurttembergers

The rarity is the W?rttemberg Goldene Milit?r-Verdienstmedaille, awarded 1,832 times to W?rttemberg junior officers.

The Friedrichs-Orden Ritter II. Klasse mit Schwertern was more common to junior officers - 5,000 awards to junior officers.

Daniel would know better, but I'd guess about 60% of the 2,200 or so W?rttemberg Milit?r-Verdienstorden RKs went to Hauptleute and below.

Then you'd have to get both the Bavarian MVO and the Austrian MVK, both relatively common for veterans of the Italian front and Romania, less so for others.

Some with similar combinations:

• Rommel: plM, WM3, WF3bX, WgMVM, BMV4X, ?M3K
    • Theobald Lieb: WM3, WF3bX, WgMVM, HH, ?M3K (swap the Hamburg for the Bavarian, and the same but for the plM; Lieb also had the RKdEK with Oakleaves in WW2)
    • Kurt von Greiff: plM, WM3, WF3bX, BMV4XmKr, WK3X, HHO3X
    • Walther Fischer von Weikersthal: WM3, WF3aX, WgMVM, ?M3K; his BMV4 was without swords; also RKdEK in WW2

The rarity is the W?rttemberg Goldene Milit?r-Verdienstmedaille, awarded 1,832 times to W?rttemberg junior officers.

The Friedrichs-Orden Ritter II. Klasse mit Schwertern was more common to junior officers - 5,000 awards to junior officers.

Daniel would know better, but I'd guess about 60% of the 2,200 or so W?rttemberg Milit?r-Verdienstorden RKs went to Hauptleute and below.

Then you'd have to get both the Bavarian MVO and the Austrian MVK, both relatively common for veterans of the Italian front and Romania, less so for others.

Some with similar combinations:

• Rommel: plM, WM3, WF3bX, WgMVM, BMV4X, ?M3K
    • Theobald Lieb: WM3, WF3bX, WgMVM, HH, ?M3K (swap the Hamburg for the Bavarian, and the same but for the plM; Lieb also had the RKdEK with Oakleaves in WW2)
    • Kurt von Greiff: plM, WM3, WF3bX, BMV4XmKr, WK3X, HHO3X
    • Walther Fischer von Weikersthal: WM3, WF3aX, WgMVM, ?M3K; his BMV4 was without swords; also RKdEK in WW2

Thanks Dave,

I want to get my hands on the awards rolls of Wurttemberg among others.

Guest Rick Research

One amazingly complicated thing that Daniel has done is to track received-and-superceded-returned-and-then-RE-awarded W?rttemberg decorations. :speechless1:

All we ever think about with groups is the final result, but with W?rttemberg's MADNESS :speechless: someone could have gotten a Gold MMM, had to turn it in for a Friedrich Knight 2ndX, then had to turn THAT back in for a MMO... and then the regulations changed so Hypothetical Officer X ended up getting a Friedrich Knight 2ndX AGAIN-- end result, 2 ribboned awards, for 4 times being decorated!!!! Another poor slob might have run the gambit before the "second time around" rules-- and ended up with ONE award to show for the entire war--while a late war Leutnant ended up with THREE wearable-- both having received the same three awards. :speechless1: Merit had nothing to do with it-- it was all random timing and their insane rules changing. :banger:

This is a side issue, but does directly relate to Rommel's awards. I've never seen any decent and highly detailed photos of his awards that are "still in the family." It's interesting to note that no one seems to have managed to include them as part of publications on the EK/RK or PLM, -particularly- since he was received awards from both categories.

The family is "approachable" on this matter, although the "politics" involved may require gaining the confidence of the family, etc. During the filming of "The Longest Day", the German actor portraying Rommel is said to have been loaned Rommel's actual awards for the purposes of filming.

Les

. During the filming of "The Longest Day", the German actor portraying Rommel is said to have been loaned Rommel's actual awards for the purposes of filming.

Les

Is this TRUE?

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, they are "still in the family", but though shown in a public museum in Stuttgart?! At least I have a picture ...

I wonder where his Spange, tank badge, Italian decorations, and other awards are now days. Bill Shea has his cuff title, an overcoat, a visor cap, and his parade tunic.

Photo Credit: Bill Shea

OK, so my question becomes... if all the nasty swatikas have to be covered at a military show that trades in historical objects... why are said same historical objects displayed uncovered?

Museums are probably considered exempt from Penal Code 86 & 86a since the items are there for study.

But I bet if you Clicked your Heels and start humming the wrong song ..they'd drag you out of the Museum in a heartbeat :speechless1:

I always remembered the story that the Family loaned one of his Uniforms to James Mason for the "Desert Fox" but , the Tunic was never returned to the Family.

I never found out if there was any truth to that or not.

Hi,

On next wenesday there will have in France a film about Erwin Rommel and his family. I iwll look at it and, I hope, answer some questions.

Christophe

That's great. I wish I could go.

Is this TRUE?

Charles,

I read an old "Time" magazine special that was made about the time the movie was originally released. The article reported that tidbit but whether it is true"....I don't know for certain. Movie studios aren't necessarily bound by ethical considerations when hyping films, actors, etc.

http://gmic.co.uk/style_images/gmicfinal2/...icons/icon8.gif

Les

Charles,

I read an old "Time" magazine special that was made about the time the movie was originally released. The article reported that tidbit but whether it is true"....I don't know for certain. Movie studios aren't necessarily bound by ethical considerations when hyping films, actors, etc.

http://gmic.co.uk/style_images/gmicfinal2/...icons/icon8.gif

Les

That sounds about right... :mad:

• 6 years later...