News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NASA Medals

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Hi JB ... I think I know which ones you are talking about .. these here I assume?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NASA-DISTINGUISHED-SERV...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NASA-OUTSTANDING-SERVIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

He's been pushing these for quite a while ... there were some mean bidding wars when they first came on the scene. Then after being sold, more kept showing up for sale ... everyone started to scratch their heads ... finally most DID catch on. I havent seen one sell now for ages.

Edited by Darrell

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

Yep, that's the guy!

It's always interesting to see "hard to get medal" in the description when the seller is having them made.

For kicks I actually sent him an email way back asking for better obverse and reverse pictures ... I believe there were no maker marks on the broach (surprise surprise). I dont think I have them anymore. I'm sure they were trashed some time ago.

Guest Darrell

should these be engraved on the back or are they just left blank?great medals though!!

Most of the above are modern issues, except the Engineering. I would assume they are engraved once awarded.

• 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

Darrel,

The marking on the back of yours looks a little dodgy. Not like the others, it is uneven and oddly done. Is that how it is supposed to be?

Dan Murphy

Actually the top medals are very recent issues, thus the matt looking reverse. This Scientific Achievement dates back into the 1980's. Different manufactures. Lordship vs. Ira Green etc.

It's hard to see in the scan, but the engraving has a polished look inside the engraving, almost a shine. Very nice in hand.

Guest Darrell

Finally another very hard to get NASA medal has entered the flock.

This one is the:

NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal

A little background on this one:

The Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (ESAM) was established on 15 September 1961, when the original ESM was divided into three seperate awards. Under the current guidelines, the ESAM is awarded for unusually significant scientific contribution toward achievement of aeronautical or space exploration goals. This award may be given for individual efforts that have resulted in a contribution of fundamental importance in this field or have significantly enhanced understanding of this field.

Through 31 October 2000, NASA has presented 819 Exceptional Achievement Medals between 1961 and 1989.

Obverse:

• 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...
    Guest Darrell

NASA Distinguished Service Medal - Type I

NASA Distinguished Service Medal Type I. This medal was established in 1959, and was issued until 1961, when it was replaced by the current Type II medal. Only three were awarded, the recipients were J.W. Crowley, Alan B. Sheppard Jr., and Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom. This medal was obtained from the collection of Evans E. Kerrigan, who was given several of these Type I medals, when he was researching his book, "The NASA Space Medals", at NASA Headquarters during the mid 1980's.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

• 3 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    Guest Darrell

Here are a few medals of earlier issue (Lordship maker). These have been posted above, but were of later issue.

NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal (LIGI) - Obverse

• 1 year later...

Reverse;

This is a very interesting thread and subject.

A question: Does anyone have any pointers on how to spot a copy of the first style NASA DSM as opposed to an original?

I recently read that the number of recipients of the NASA bravery medaled was nearly doubled when a number of NASA personnel were awarded the medal for saving NASA facilities in the face of a hurricane.

Finally, I have some of the "astronaut wings" that have been around for awhile, including an example of the Air force "Command Astronaut" wing in sterling silver. I always wondered why so many of these wings were made in light of the relatively few number of astronauts. I just read, though, that they are not so much "astronaut" wings as they are "space pilot" wings. Any member of the military who flew above 50 miles into the atmosphere (which was set as the dividing line between the atmosphere and space) qualified for the wings.

I also recently acquired a framed presentation set of three small flags, all of which were flown in space. The set consists of an American flag flown on STS-1, the first flight of the space shuttle; a small US Marine corps flag that was flown on STS-5; and a small US Navy flag that was flown on Apollo 17. These were all presented to the Chief of Naval Operations "By his astronauts".

But again, any suggestions on telling a fake first style DSM from a copy?