News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NASA Medals

Guest Darrell

To Bill's question: if they came out of West Virginia, they are probably fakes. As far as I know, NASA had one batch struck. Then Evans Kerrigan was able to get some more struck based on his book. Now, there is an endless supply coming out of West Virginia (NACA and early NASA DSMs in particular).

There are just minor die variations between the originals and later copies. Since I have rarely bothered with NASA material, I don't know the precise details.

Also, NASA medals are worn on the uniforms of the military astronauts. I've seen various ideas of precedence and how they should be worn in military uniform.

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the Space MOH:

About a month ago an auction company sold the award document for the space MOH that was conferred upon Ed White, one of the three astronauts who died in the launch pad fire in Apollo 1. As I recall it sold for around $7,000. According to the auction information, the actual medal had been sold a few years ago by the auction company. At the time whoever had it wanted to keep the citation. The medal itself reportedly sold for about $95,000. I hope that whover purchased the medal also acquired the award document.

Here is the Space MOH and document conferred upon cicilian teacher Christa McAullife, who died in the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger.

Guest Darrell

Guys,

Re: the DSM 1st Type medal posted in thiis thread. It was acquired out of Kerrigan's collection.

And this is a way to determine the originals of "that" batch.

There is a ribbon flaw present on these in the light blue strip to the right of center looking at the obverse.

As Jeff mentions.... the items out of Virginia are crap. He has all the NACA versions for sale every week. In fact any of his other wrap broach medals are all made from the same cheap base metal. I would imagine most people know about him, because they never sell, even at the low prices that he lists them now.

Here is what Time magazine had to say about the first style NASA DSM that was awarded to Alan Shepard, the first American in space:

Lackluster Medals

Friday, May. 19, 1961

Since the days of ancient Athens, a brave act has deserved a proud and artistic medal?everywhere but in the U.S. Last week when President Kennedy honored the country's first astronaut, all he had to pin on the lapel of Commander Alan Shepard was something that looked as if it might have come out of a Cracker Jack box.

The Distinguished Service Medal of the National Aeronautics and Space

Administration is the most unimaginative decoration turned out by the U.S. Government so far?and the competition for that title is stiff.

The Navy Medal of Honor is not only inelegant, it does not even hang gracefully from its ribbon. The Bronze and Silver Stars are almost childish in design, and the propeller motif of the Distinguished Flying Cross looks like the work of a mechanic. Though the Legion of Merit is better, even it seems shoddy compared to France's Legion of Honor.

Such U.S. medals are turned out by the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry, which has only two trained sculptors on its staff. Says James Risk of the American Numismatic Society in Manhattan: "There is a tendency in U.S. medals to go too much for symbolism, regardless of good design." Adds his colleague Henry Grunthal: "The medals are designed by craftsmen, not artists, and the craftsmen are told exactly what to do. The fantasy of the artist is suffocated by regulation."

No one at NASA will say who is responsible for Commander Shepard's D.S.M., but that perhaps is a blessing. One side of the medal shows a planet and satellite?a motif that any schoolboy might have thought up. On the other side is the inevitable laurel wreath. As for the lettering, Designer Henry Hart of the Smithsonian Institution has just one word: "Atrocious."

Guest Darrell

Wow ... I bet this guy collects antique cars ....

I must admit many of the pendant and ribbon colors of US medals border on the bland to say the least ... I think a few of the NASA medals (not all) are rather pleasing to the eye compared to others. That being said ... I suppose if you were to see them for the first time back in '61 they would not be that appealing.

Edited by Darrell