News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 Medal Bars With Battle Bars

Guest Rick Research

This VERY nice ex-career NCO Saxon set came to visit and have its portrait Epson'd today.

Note the silver M1874 15 Years service medal. The veteran's badge is from Roy. Sax. Mil. Assoc. Ottendorf-Okrilla & Env.s

"Captured cannons" 1870 medal. Pin has fallen off-- a victim to the inevitable decay of 19th century solder-work.

Guest Rick Research

:love: "near sighted" model bars WITH GREAT BIG LETTERS!!!!

Looking for a possible identification of his unit from the combination in Eric Ludvigsen's masasive work on unit entitlement by bars, I discovered that while there are glancing mentions of bavarian units and the odd streay W?rttemberg one, all his work is apparently for PRUSSIAN units:there is not a Saxon to be found.

This combination was peculiar to a couple of Rhenish infantry regiments, but I have no information at all on Saxon entitlements.

Guest Rick Research

Showed the front of this nice ex-NCO turned civil servant bar in the early long service bars thread:

Here's the back: with a nice traditional red felt backing:

Guest Rick Research

OK, so THREE is more "several" than "lots," :rolleyes: but notice the different manufacturer's style: contrast this "Metz" with the first one:

And that the Orl?ans and Le Mans bars match each other, but not the Metz.

This is a common enough trio from within larger combinations that his unit would not seem to be traceable either. Possibly off guarding prisoners, or gone back for supplies, or left gaurding advancing lines of communication through enemy territory, or fallen out for medical reasons and not involved in EVERY engagement of his regiment.

OK, so having defined "lots" downward, :catjava: who's got medal bars with THREE oOR MORE battle bars?

I have driven past a number of these battlefields, but have never yet stopped.

At some stage in life I hope to visit them.

I stopped a couple times and almost got stuck. I got my car mired in mud on a farmer's trail trying to get to a monument in the middle of a field. It turned out to be for the advance on Sedan. I wandered around Gravelotte and went to the WW1 German cemetery near there. I also visited the battlefield sites of the 1792 Battle of Valmy. That is considered the first "modern" battle of mass armies which were levied from the entire population, moving from the small professional armies of earlier eras.