News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Different Kind of Full Cavalier

slava1stclass

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 270
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 5 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

The Order of Lenin was once bestowed for long service??? :o

Yep. Quite a few of those as well as non military Lenins too. Why...didn't you know that you might be buying a Lenin and then find out that it was awarded for something like collective farming.

However, if my memory serves me well, during the GPW, after being awarded 5 ORBs (or was it 4?) you were next awarded a Lenin. ORB 6s and onwards were a post war thing.

Can anyone else can confirm the above.....I'll double check with my books tomorrow as I am going entirely on memory (which at the moment leaves much to be desired) :)

Jim :cheers:

Prior to the creation of the Long Service medals:

Order of Lenin = 25 years long service

Order of the Red Banner = 20 years long service

Order of the Red Star = 15 years long service

Military Merit Medal = 10 years long service

Also, in a number of cases awards of the Lenin (and probably others) were made on birthdays of say long service Generals, Marshals, Admirals, political figures, etc. This was especially the case under Brezhnev... in fact during his time in office many higher awards tended to lose their prestige.

This is also why if you're looking to research a Soviet Order (ie: one of the above) you have to be prepared to end up with it being awarded solely for long service and not combat. It's possible to come across groups of all of the above, all awarded for long service with the individual in question never seeing any combat.

You can find more here:

http://soviet-awards.com/forum/soviet-military-awards/medals/4311-long-service-medals.html

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

Speaking of birthday presents one cannot but mention the HSU itself which was awarded once as a birthday pressie to Zhukov (4 times recipient) and four times as a birthday pressie to Brezhnev (the other 4 times recipient)!

But here we start to digress from the original thread.

Jim :cheers:

Thanks for this info guys. I must admit at having mixed feelings about this, happy for the increased knowledged and a bit sad some of these awards have suddenly lost some of their prestige for me.