News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1138 GNR. Thomas Johnson, RFA

This just came in from the June Wellington Auctions. The trio is all properly named. According to the documents the Defence Medal and the French Medal Commemorating the Battle of Somme were awarded Posthumously. The set appaers to have been professionaly mounted.

:beer: Doc

Interesting group, Doc. Is there any reverse annotation on the WWI transmittal slip where it was sent?

In trying to narrow him down, there are SOOOO many "Thomas Johnson"s on the CWGC that any additional information would help. There is, for example, a:

3 JOHNSON, THOMAS Civilian 14/03/1941 62 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom GLASGOW CITY, SCOTLAND

The only other pure civilians listed are aged 12 and 71.

Will be interesting to see his MIC too. And maybe, just maybe, there are service records surviving.

1138 Gunner Thomas Johnson was actually a member of the Territorial Force and as such was renumbered 750250 in 1917 i.a.w. Appendix 183 of Army Council Instruction 2198. His new number was given as 750250 and he can actually be linked to having served with the 1st Northumbrian Brigade,R.F.A.

Graham.

Hello Ed,

He would have to have the last name of Johnson :rolleyes:

Lots of us up in Northumberland! He might even be my cousin. My great-great-great grandfather was Thomas Johnson, his son was John Johnson, his son was Thomas Johnson, his son was John Johnson, his son (my father) was John Thomas Johnson, and my elder brother is John as well. When my son was born I said no way - and he's Sean Johnson (my wife's roots are Irish).

A beautiful group.

Thanks Michael!! What a coincidence this would be :rolleyes: I have one question. If his service number was changed...Why is his trio engraved with his original number 1138?

All three with the same number? Have you gotten his MIC?? (Missing SWB?)

What is the naming (verbatim) on each?

Ed,

Here goes...

1914-1915 Star- 1138. GNR. T. Johnson, R.F.A.

BWM- 1138 GNR. T. Johnson R.A.

Victory Medal- 1138 GNR. T. Johnson. R.A.

Hmmmmmm . . . . .

Make NA/PRO richer and get his MIC.

My "gut" says there's a tale to tell. But damn artillery! At least we can focus on the 1st Northumbrian Brigade, R.F.A. (thanks, Graham!).

2712(770969)Shoeing Smith Moses Francis, 50th Div Ammo Column

I actually have copy of the 1st Northumbrian Brigade,R.F.A. War History, but sadly it's one of those volumes that lack a nominal roll. As you be aware they served with 50th(Northumbrian)Division during the war and Gunner Johnson seems to have gone out with the Divison in April 1915, just intime for the Second Battle of Ypres and the first major gas attack's on British & Canadian forces.

It's quite poignant that you should actually have these medals as my own great grandfather served with 50th(Northumbrian)Division throughout the Great War and he too served with the R.F.A.(T.F.), although with the Divisional Ammunition Column, as he was a Shoeing Smith, which is an actual trade/rank.

He originally enlisted as 1482 S.S. Moses Francis into the 3rd Northumbrian Bde, R.F.A.(T.F.), but on transfer to the D.A.C. was renumbered 2712 and in 1917 he too was again renumbered under the new system as 770969 S.S. M.Francis. He himself was gassed and left with only one working lung, the rest of his life was spent taking snake serum of all things when breathing got really bad. He died on the 6th October 1954, five months after I was born.

Although he survived sadly both his step-brother Bert Francis(A.I.F.) and brother-in-law John Allison(D.L.I./M.G.C.) both perished and his other brother Frederick(N.F.) was taken prisoner in 1918.

Graham.

39819 Pte Frederick Francis, formerly 16th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, posted to 'D' Coy, 22nd Bn, N.F.(3rd Tyneside Scottish) became POW April 1918 another brother of Moses Francis. On return to England transferred as 74272 Pte F.Francis, 3rd Bn, Devonshire Regt from whom he was eventually discharged.

Graham.

A snap shot of my family history and of those who make me proud.

:jumping: Graham, WOW!!! :jumping: This is most interesting!!! It's indeed a small world. As for my guys MIC, I tried and tried but I have never been able to find a MIC from the National Archives website. Someone, HELP PLEASE!!! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :speechless: