News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified Saudi Medal

Hugh

I found this one in the Kosar Bazaar in islamabad in 1993. It's in a case, so I only have a picture of the obverse handy. The reverse show a 1950's era fighter jet. The medal was made by Hugenin in Switzerland, and cost me all of 500 rupees at the time. The usual questions:

1. Is it official Govt issue?

2. Is it authorized for wear on the uniform?

3. What are the criteria for award?

4. What's the official name?

I found this one in the Kosar Bazaar in islamabad in 1993. It's in a case, so I only have a picture of the obverse handy. The reverse show a 1950's era fighter jet. The medal was made by Hugenin in Switzerland, and cost me all of 500 rupees at the time. The usual questions:

1. Is it official Govt issue?

2. Is it authorized for wear on the uniform?

3. What are the criteria for award?

4. What's the official name?

Hugh,

Good morning from Riyadh. This would appear to be a Saudi medal/medallion but not one that I have seen during my time here in the Kingdom. The image is indistinct - perhaps you can attach clearer images of both the obverse and reverse. I have a sneaking suspicion that because of the style of the integral suspension loop that it is is a commemorative or souvenir medallion. Is the disc contemporary with the ribbon as the metal ring conjoining the two appear to be poor quality. A mystery.

Regards,

Owain

Thanks, Owain,

I was hoping you'd see this. I'll send a clearer image by PM; the re-sizing limits have fuzzed it up considerably. It's so long ago that I don't have a clear recollection of how / when the ribbon came in. I suspect it was not included in the initial purchase. As I mentioned, the medal is mounted in a case with many others, and I don't have a picture of the reverse at present. I'm just lazy enough that I'd rather not take it all apart if I don't have to. Thanks for your interest.