News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I purchased this goblet many years ago and it looks great on the shelf in my study.

I recently heard of a website which identifies German Hallmarks and have discovered that my goblet was made by the company Brueckmann & Soehne, Heilbronn. The website is http://www.925-1000/.com

I don't know whether this is old information or not but I am sharing it just in case.

Stan

All I can detect on the goblet are the silver content mark 8oo, German mark half moon and crown for real silver and maybe the mark of the city of Heilbronn, but no makers mark. I would guess the maker was a Berlin juweller? Heilbronn would make no sense, it is in Wuerttemberg, not in Prussia.

But anyway, a real beauty!!!

i love this piece and the fact it has someone who

appreciates its beauty.

while i prefer the Imperial array of "nice things",

the silver 1939 version of this, and the Deutsche Kreuz

are two of the TR "nice things" i find equally satisfying.

thanks for the post.

joe

Stan,

Very nice goblet! I thought the silver ones were all made by Godet. I believe I read this on an article in Cross & Cockade entitled "Ehrenbechers: Where are they now?"

Here is mine.

ehrenbecher1ut.jpg

Here is ace Emil Thuy proudly dispalying his

thuy5gx.jpgthuy19wm.jpg

Hi,

I went over and found the article entitled ?The Ehrenbechers - Where Are They Now?? by Bill Radfloff and Robert Niemann, which appeared in Cross & Cockade Journal, Vol 10, No 4, winter 1969, page 366, where the authors mention that:

????..it seems that in 1915 Emperor Wilhelm II set aside some of his own personal funds in order that an award might be made for the-then rare first air victory. He commissioned Godet (a Berlin firm of goldsmiths) to provide a suitable award.?

Air historian Peter Kilduff also mentions Godet as producer on page 26 in his book ?The Illustrated Red Baron: The Life and Times of Manfred Von Richthofen? 1999.

Silver made Ehrenbechers are very difficult to find. The Germans stopped making them in silver by mid 1917, and many of them were presumably sold (and destroyed ?) for their more valuable silver content in the 1920?s

Here are more details of mine:

hallmarkswe7.jpg

sealyg7.jpg

Silver made Ehrenbechers are very difficult to find. The Germans stopped making them in silver by mid 1917, and many of them were presumably sold (and destroyed ?) for their more valuable silver content in the 1920?s

GMU, nice oneand better than the one in my collection! "Mine" is a steel that's came as part of a group.

The recipent was credited with his first, and only "kill" during the fall of 1916. He should have had a silver one, but the one he "left behind" was a thin steel one that rusted enough that there are tiny holes go entirely through the metal. The worst of the pitting and holes are along the welded seam opposite the eagles design.

The recipient ran into a couple of legal and financial problems during the 1920's, and I suspect he might have sold his original and picked up a cheaper steel one as a "replacement." Considering how tough the economic situation in Germany was during the inflationary period and through the late 1920's, I can understand that some vets might have sold them off to put food on the table.

Les

LOL, Les, when I visited my uncle in Germany in the 1970's, he was using his Ehrenbecher as a pencil holder, and it was starting to rust pretty bad. When I got it I gave it a light cleaning to remove the rust, and it looks pretty nice now for a steel version.

GMU, nice oneand better than the one in my collection! "Mine" is a steel that's came as part of a group.

Hi Les,

Thanks! Although silver is nice, nothing compares to having a piece with known provenance, no matter its condition. That is far more valuable to me. You are very fortunate to have one that is attributed to a person.

Ehrenbechers came with a wooden base and in a cardboard (I guess) box. I have seen goblets with their original base, but I have never seen the original box. I believe none survived. Has anyone seen the original box?

You are right Les! I should refer to it as the Ehrenbecher that is presently in my possession instead of using the word ?mine?. As a first victory award, one must not forget what ?victory? really means. Someone risked his live to earn it, and someone possibly lost his own in the same action. That deserves our utmost respect.

George

Edited by GMU

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I went over and found the article entitled ?The Ehrenbechers - Where Are They Now?? by Bill Radfloff and Robert Niemann, which appeared in Cross & Cockade Journal, Vol 10, No 4, winter 1969, page 366, where the authors mention that:

????..it seems that in 1915 Emperor Wilhelm II set aside some of his own personal funds in order that an award might be made for the-then rare first air victory. He commissioned Godet (a Berlin firm of goldsmiths) to provide a suitable award.?

hello all,

this was the award criteria? the first air victory?? any idea of how many were awarded?

thanks!