News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI Canadian Black Watch Photo.

Ooops, meant RHC & not RCH in the sub title.......

The Photographers details & the "RHC" impressed on the cantle of the sporran, identifying the unit.

Is that a British cut away tunic? I take it that the Canadian issue would have 7 buttons instead of 5?

The reverse inscription - "William W. Wilson Black Watch WWI"

I think the bottom part of the inscription reads "An old beau of Sissies!" ?

A check of the CWGC site shows no William Wilson fatalities of the Canadian army in WWI, there are 57 W. Wilsons but none to the RHC, although he could nave been serving in another unit at time of death - anyway, it looks like he survived the war.

Only William W. Wilson that I can find serving in the R.C.H.,C.E.F. is 2075446 Pte William Wood Wilson, born Germantown, Philadelphia, U.S.A., who enlisted on the 14th June 1917 and served with 5th R.C.H. and then the 1st & 2nd Reinforcement Companies of the R.C.H.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 4 years later...