News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Hauptmann in Reserve Feldartillerie No 47

Here's a small document collection that I've managed to gather to a Reserve Feldartillerie Hauptmann that was the 47th Reserve Feldartillerie Regiments Adjutant. A few pictures of him and his young family taken in 1917 before I post his award documents and later history.

His name was Paul Stein. Here's the start ..a few pictures of him.

Guest Rick Research

OOOOOOOOOOOOO it doesn't get any better than this! Original photos AND the regimental history with his award documents! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

OOOOOOOOOOOOO it doesn't get any better than this! Original photos AND the regimental history with his award documents! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Thanks Rick and ccj,

As promised, via my New Epson Scanner, are Herr Steins award documents. Starting back into his early service career. He was born 05.02.1874.

The earliest document I have for him is 1901. It's one that I'm struggling to understand, so Rick if you can help I would be grateful.

Edited by Mike Huxley

I think that will do for tonight. I have several documents that follow Pauls later history ...up to his 70th birthday. I f there is any interest I will post further scans tomorrow.

This is just the start of my research into Paul Steins background and history. I am sure, that given time I will find out more about his background and miliatry history.

Guest Rick Research

Spectacular group of perfectly preserved documents in a variety of unusual formats. :jumping::jumping:

The 1901 letter in post #10 is from the Minister of Trade & Industry telling him he has passed his second state examination in the mining service with the examining board's grade "ausreichend" ("satisfactory") and is thereby awarded the title of Bergassessor (civil service captain for mining) by commission Patent, and that he is to report for duty until further notice at the Royal Oberbergamt in Dortmund. This is not the actual commission itself, but the cover/assignment letter.

#12 I'm not sure offhand which of the Generalleutnants von Natzmer signed his LD2 (a VERY nicely done form) but he retired 1906/07.

#13 :Cat-Scratch: Wow! :speechless1: A December 1914 long service award!!!! Obviously LATE processing, and rather sloppy about the rank title there. "Oberleutnant aD", huh. Signed by General der Infanterie Egon Friedrich Carl Freiherr von Gayl (1845-1929).

#16 VERY nice to see a specific PLACE and not the usual "in the field" or "at HQ" there. Ed. Joh. Ludw. Wm. Dyes (1853-1928) re-retired as Generalmajor aD.

Is the Lippe Detmold cross document really that yellow color?

Splendid group. :cheers:

Mike

Hauptmann Paul Stein was originally commissioned into the 1. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment as a reserve officer from the rank of Vizewachtmeister der Reserve on 17 April 1897. He remained with this regiment until his first retirement from non active military service on 17 February 1914. On retirement he was granted the authority to wear the Landwehr Army Uniform. Obviously not left in peace for long he reported for duty on mobilisation and was promoted to Hauptmann d.R. a.D. on 20 October 1914.

Second-Lieutenant/Leutnant d.R.: 17.4.97 X5x

Oberleutnant d.R.: 20.4.10

Hauptmann d.R. a.D.: 20.10.14

1902: Living at Kaiserstra?e 43 D?sseldorf

1906: Bergassessor in Recklinghausen

1911: Bergwerksdirektor in Recklinghausen

The LD2 document was signed by Generalleutnant Ernst v. Natzmer.

Regards

Glenn

Is the Lippe Detmold cross document really that yellow color?

Splendid group. :cheers:

Rick, thanks for the translation of the letter, that one did have me stumped. Yes the Lippe Detmold document really is that colour and is on a very thick paper. The Statute is on the reverse of the document.

Glenn,

Your a star :cheers::cheers: I tried looking Herr Stein's service history up, but without luck. This really does fill in some of the information I was missing.

I'll finish off with his post war "been there" documents and a couple of letters that he received in later life.

Edited by Mike Huxley