News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

belgian soldier Gerard Aime

Hello,

who can help me with information on a Belgian soldier of WW1.

I would like to know more about Gerard Aime.

He received the following medals:

-croix de guerre with lion on the ribbon

-commemorative medal of the 1914-1918 campaign

-Yser medal

-defence of Luik/Liege medal

-victory medal

-firecross (vuurkruis)

-honorary medal for scouts, with star on the ribbon

-military decoration

-honorary medal of veterans FNC

-commemorative medal of the 100 anniversary of national independance

any information about this man is very welcome, his date of birth, death, where he lived, which battles he fought, dates of receiving medals etc.

Edited by Roeland

Not really sure if this is your man, but so far I can only find one Aim? Gerard in the Guldenboeken, and his decorations approximately fit the bill. But if you have no further info (picture to compare with or the unit) we can't be 100% certain though... this man was in the 12th lineregiment. Spent the whole of WWI in the army (8 frontstripes) and indeed, has earned the Yser Medal and the Fire Cross. The fact that he was a Sergeant Major may also lead to believe he might have received the Military Decoration further on in his career. The lion on his CdG is not mentioned though....

p17812elinieva8.jpg

Edited by love4history

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it very much!

I bought this frame with his medals and a picture, don't have it yet, I expect it in 1-1,5 weeks.

Appart from not having it yet, I also haven't got a camera because I borrowed it to someone going on a holiday, so no better pictures at the moment.

no frontbars visable on the ribbon of the commemorative 1914-1918 medal, but looking at the medals he got he was in service quite some time during the war.

viewing the picture, it looks like he has a NCO rank emblem on his arm sleeve, which makes the Sergeant-Major rank possible.

I guess it must be him as there are no other people with this name in the guldenboeken and the information seems quite the same.

lijstmedfl3.jpglijstmed4uc0.jpg

lijstmed2tj5.jpglijstmed3wo4.jpg

Edited by Roeland

Hello Roeland,

Well.. as there is a picture you will have the opportunity to compare the faces once you have received the frame.... might be the best identification in this case... by the way: been visiting treasurehunt have we? ;)

cheers

hello,

I'll compare them when I receive the frame.

and I did buy it from treasurehunt indeed, I'm a customer since he started on the internet(before he had a shop) and I'm always very satisfied about the items he offers, always quality and often special items.

kind regards

? know he is moving, it is also the reason that I'm waiting on the frame.

Actually it probably isn't that bad for me if he moves to Belgium, because I live near the Belgian border,now I have to travel over 100 kilometers to go to the shop so I order most of it on his site, if he moves to Belgium it probably is closer to my city and up here there is a good public transport conection to belgium, which I didn't have when he was in Leiden.

do you know to which city he is moving in Belgium?

• 4 weeks later...

Just received the frame!!!! :cheers:

here's the picture:

gerardaimeph3.jpg

he's younger here, but I think it's the same person.

I also think that the stripes on his arm are the 8 front bars.

In the picture he also has the lion on the ribbon of the Croix de guerre.

What's the lanyard for?

any more information about him? on his date of birth etc.

thanks.

kind regards,

Roeland