News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Felix Graf von Luckner medal?

I'm not sure where to post this, it's not (IMHO) military related but here goes. Can anyone identify the below medal/badge? From my initial research it is related to Count Felix Graf von Luckner (AKA the "sea devil"), it may be related to the circumnavigation?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Hallo Fugpaw :cheers:

Can you please tell us what the item is made from? it looks like some sort of Patriotika, the ribbon being found on many such similar items, also could you post pictures of the rear of the item.

I do not think its any sort of an "Official Issue" medal, Von Luckner was a very colourful character as can be seen by reading items at this website:

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/CountFelixvonLucknerIndex.html

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Fugpaw :cheers:

Can you please tell us what the item is made from? it looks like some sort of Patriotika, the ribbon being found on many such similar items, also could you post pictures of the rear of the item.

I do not think its any sort of an "Official Issue" medal, Von Luckner was a very colourful character as can be seen by reading items at this website:

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/CountFelixvonLucknerIndex.html

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kevin, thanks for your help.

I'm not sure what the medal/badge is made from, it feels like Tombak but it could be zinc. I've done alot of research on the "sea devil" and am yet to find this medal/badge. Attached is a pic of the rear.

Mike

Hallo Mike, :cheers:

can you tell me what is stamped to the rear? even with highlighting the picture I cant fully make it our!

Its probably the maker mark?

To me it looks like one of the "Patriotika" items that were very popular during WW1.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Hi Mike, could you post a closeup of the Motto under the Crest

On the Box is written in "low German dialect": The German Oak is still standing.

Regards, Hardy

Kev and Naxos,

Here goes - Naxos - the motto under the crest is "jungs holt fast" - the u has an umlaut. Attached is a closeup of the motto.

Kev - the maker mark on the rear reads (from what I can make out) - "Ges. Gesch. Friedh. Linrh. Ludensheid" - some of the characters are not at all clear.

Mike

Edited by Fugpaw

Hallo Mike :cheers:

"Ges. Gesch. Friedh. Linrh. Ludensheid"

The Ges. Gesch, is a German abriviation for "patent protected".

Friedh = Freidrich

Linrh (?) Linden ?

Ludensheid was a major area for producing medals, badges, insignia etc.. etc..

with at least 15 firms in business in WW2.

And the search goes on. . . . . :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Mike :cheers:

"Ges. Gesch. Friedh. Linrh. Ludensheid"

The Ges. Gesch, is a German abriviation for "patent protected".

Friedh = Freidrich

Linrh (?) Linden ?

Ludensheid was a major area for producing medals, badges, insignia etc.. etc..

with at least 15 firms in business in WW2.

And the search goes on. . . . . :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hello Kev,

Thanks for the additional information. After using various techniques to enhance the manufacturer details on the reverse, I have come to the conclusion that it probably was manufactured by Friedrich Linden of Ludenscheid.

Currently I'm in contact with the von Luckner society in Halle, they are hopefull that they can make an identification of the medal/badge.

There are a couple of other items that came with this medal/badge - one is a skull wax seal stamp and the other is a badge with a hand holding a sword - as attached.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by Fugpaw

• 1 month later...

Hello Kev,

Thanks for the additional information. After using various techniques to enhance the manufacturer details on the reverse, I have come to the conclusion that it probably was manufactured by Friedrich Linden of Ludenscheid.

Currently I'm in contact with the von Luckner society in Halle, they are hopefull that they can make an identification of the medal/badge.

There are a couple of other items that came with this medal/badge - one is a skull wax seal stamp and the other is a badge with a hand holding a sword - as attached.

Cheers,

Mike

Any progress of finding out what it is?

Going by memory, and not having read the book in 30-40 years, the phrase "The German oak still stands!" was something that I think that von Luckner stated that he or someone else shouted after the tidal wave supposedly threw the Seeadler up on the coral reef. Without study, isn't the other phrase a request for the young ones to "hold fast", again possibly in dialect? I think von Luckner referred to the phrase: "One hand for yourself, one for the ship!" several times.

My father ran into von Luckner twice post-war; once at a party in Germany in the 1920's; and once he came upon von Luckner walking two poodles on Park Avenue in New York City in the late 1920's or the 1930's. Von Luckner was of course quite the "party animal", quite a character.

BobLembke

Any progress of finding out what it is?

Raz,

As yet not much more progress; the Von Luckner society are not aware of what the medal was for - they are pretty certain that it is related to the Count - the coat of arms is his familys.

I need to do some furthr digging through archives and reference books, however this is not proving particularly easy as it is hard to get hold of some of the reference material I need.

Bob - thanks for your comments and the info. about the Count.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Raz,

As yet not much more progress; the Von Luckner society are not aware of what the medal was for - they are pretty certain that it is related to the Count - the coat of arms is his familys.

I need to do some furthr digging through archives and reference books, however this is not proving particularly easy as it is hard to get hold of some of the reference material I need.

Bob - thanks for your comments and the info. about the Count.

Mike

Hello All,

It appears that everywhere I turn for information on this one that I hit a "brick wall", has anyone got any ideas on places/organisations that might help further?

Here's hopeing,

Mike