News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

A quick question gentlemen. For the Princely Hohenzollern House Order, would all classes have a gold device on the ribbon bar? The reason I'm asking is that I've seen ribbon bars representing the order (not the medal) with both gold and silver devices. Thanks.

To Redeagleorder, I don't remember seeing silver Swords on officer's ribbon bar representing the HE. It is possible for you to show us the photo please. Thanks.

It is probably for the silver medal with X. But without seeing photo it's difficult to say.

Christophe

• 4 months later...

Okay I just found a copy of Willi Geile's book on Recipients of the Knight's Cross of the House Order of Hohenzollern during the First World War. It lists the recipients alphabetically by year of their award 1915-1918. It also gives the date and rank at time of award. What it doesn't list is their first name which is rather frustrating. If anyone needs information from this book, please let me know. I am also looking for a book by the same author who lists the 1st Class Recipients of the Red Eagle Order during World War I.

The lack of first names is the hallmark of contemporary Prussian sources and later works based on them. This makes researching the Prussians maddeningly slow and challenging.

If the book you are looking for is that compilation of awards listed in the Militär Wochenblatt (MWB) during the war, you will be faced with the same problem- no first names!!! In those cases of a common name, it's next to impossible to know from this list which family member was given an award. Realize ahead of time that it will be rather frustrating looking for a particular individual. That said, using other sources such as the MWB themselves can be more informative, as the often, but not always, give the type (i.e. reserve regiment, Brigade, division, etc) of unit under the officer's command. This can be helpful if you know that man's rank and unit and general date pf the award.

As you work longer in this area, you will discover that there are sources of names, but they are hard to find and expensive. While there is an amazing amount of information available on the web today, it's not all there.

If you have a specific question, post it on this forum. Several members should be able to assist.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

Hello readers:

Here is the award document for the Hohenzoller belonging to Major Maximilian von Zastrow, commander of the 3.Baden Feldartillerieregiment Number 50. Maj.v. Zastrow was assigned pre-war to the Prussian Guard Artillery. The 1914 Ranklist lists him as Hauptmann in the 3rd Gardefeldartillerie. The Ehrenrang Liste of 1926 shows him as retired Lt.Col.

Bernhard H. Holst

Okay I just found a copy of Willi Geile's book on Recipients of the Knight's Cross of the House Order of Hohenzollern during the First World War. It lists the recipients alphabetically by year of their award 1915-1918. It also gives the date and rank at time of award. What it doesn't list is their first name which is rather frustrating. If anyone needs information from this book, please let me know. I am also looking for a book by the same author who lists the 1st Class Recipients of the Red Eagle Order during World War I.

Hi, could you please check if there are a Falkenhagen and a Hahn as recipients? Thanks! Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, no Falkenhagen, 3 Hahns. Erich, Eugen and Johannes

Lots of greetings

Daniel

Great you found something for me Daniel. Indeed any of those Hahns can be my officer. Maybe a Major. Unfortunately shoulder boards are not quite visible. Thanks a lot.

Erich, Eugen and Johannes

Erich was the first WWI Ace to be awarded the SH Saxon order. He was KIA flying in 1917. Therefore not my guy.

Eugen has a 50% chance, but found only this

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/H/HahnEugen.htm

Generalmajor Johannes Hahn (1889-1970) the other side of this coin, was researched as well

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/related/ribbons/ww2.htm

Edited by OTTER76

Just found a picture of Johannes here at GMIC and.... The winner is.... EUGEN! Thanks to the forum members. If any further pictures of WWII or award rolls are available, please pm me!

Silly of me. Died in 1938.