News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

Anyway, it's a beautiful piece from the 1930s, but I sort of doubt it was gold. Almost all pieces of this type (shown by Stogieman) were made of bronze-gilt (some very few were silver gilt).

Here is an identical piece. It's actually shown in this thread, although it's a few years old. The piece is/was Claudio's.

It is bronze-gilt.

Brinze Gilt HOH.jpg

Looking closer now, I think that Claudio's bronze-gilt piece is the same one shown by Stogieman.

Brinze Gilt HOH comp.jpg

Here, also from this thread, is what I believe is the same type on a bar owned by Beau, but in silver-gilt.

All of these would have been 1930s-era private purchase types by J. Godet und Sohn. The silver gilt ones are pretty uncommon!

Brinze Gilt HOH Beau Newman.jpg

Beau, do you still have this lovely bar? If so, I'd love to see larger photos of the HOH3X.

No, I had two all gold Hohenzollerns, both purchased from Detlev Niemann. They were gold, not bronze gilt, not silver gilt.

No I don't own them anymore, these are my archive pictures.

Neither one was sold to Claudio

Edited by Stogieman

I believe I have solved this mystery.

Claudio has confirmed to me that the piece Stogieman shows is the same piece he has. He still has it. He bought it from Stogieman many years ago as a bronze-gilt piece (for a bronze-gilt price).

Since Detlev Niemann was unlikely to confuse bronze for gold, the explanation is most probably that Stogieman mislabeled his photos and posted his old bronze-gilt piece as a gold piece here by accident. Stogie and Claudio, thanks for all the info and help!

Too bad, as I was hoping for some exciting news about 1930s-era Godet pieces made in gold.

But great pieces shown here anyway.

Beau, any chance you still have that bar? I'd be very interested to see the HOH3X and especially the marks.

Edited by Streptile

Hi Trevor!

Sometimes from the pictures is hard to tell if it's gold, bronze-gilt or silver-gilt, but once you have such a piece in your hands it's easy to see the differences, especially the weight and the quality.

ciao,

C

7 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Hi Trevor!

Sometimes from the pictures is hard to tell if it's gold, bronze-gilt or silver-gilt, but once you have such a piece in your hands it's easy to see the differences, especially the weight and the quality.

ciao,

C

Thanks for the help Claudio!

It would have been very interesting indeed if Stogieman's piece was gold, because it would have changed some things I thought I knew about Godet's manufacturing during the interwar period. It's for this reason that I was so interested.

Bronze-gilt makes much more sense even if it is less exciting.

Here is one of my lovely gold pieces by Godet, which I believe I have shown here already, next to its younger brother in silver-gilt. Obviously the tooling on these pieces (which both predate 1918) is totally different from the 1930s pieces.

IMG_7930.jpg

Edited by Streptile

Hi Beau,

Thanks very much for taking those photos. That is a great example of the type: a J. Godet piece made in the 1930s in gilt silver and marked JG&S 938.

There are many unknowns about these pieces in terms of construction and types once you get into the postwar years but that is one of the well-known and very interesting (if not common) types.

Much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
    6 hours ago, Deruelle said:

Hi Streptile,

Your Hohenzollern collection is amazing. Do you have any box to go with your cross ? Congrats

Christophe

Thank you Christophe.

The gold Godet (JGS) and Wagner (W) Knights Crosses both have cases:

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

Some of the minis came in small white Godet boxes with gold trim.

I would love to find a case for the Komturkreuz but I think this will be impossible.

Edited by Streptile

• 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...

I´m searching for infos about Peter Ingenhoven.

He was a aviator in WW I and was awarded with the House Order of Hohenzollern. In WW II he was awarded with the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross.

His observer was Lt. Mangold.

Dear Ingo

The only info I was able to find about this avaitor are the dates of his birth and dead (16-december-1894_1-november-1942) and the place were he fell, mostlikely in combat (beljevo-velizh). He was awarded the knightscross of the iron cross on may 11th 1940. On the moment of his death he held the position of Hauptmann der fliegerreserve (flight captain of the reserves)

Kind regards, Laurentius Stroek

Edited by laurentius
    typo