News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Egypt

Ed_Haynes

Order of Sports

Established to reward Egyptians and foreigners for their contributions to athletics in Egypt and in international (especially Olympic) competition.

Established: Established by Law No. 528 of 1952 and revised by Law No. 12 of 1972. Known to have been manufactured by Bichay (Cairo, Egypt).

Obverse: A silver-gilt ten-pointed faceted star, with a gold, green-enameled, ball-tipped five-pointed star on it. The star is on a green and white circular background with a series of five interlinked rings between each point of the star (recalling the Olympic emblem). The star has a torch on each point, flame toward the center and a red central medallion with the name of the order (in Arabic) in gold "Sports". Suspended by a bar of five interlinked Olympic rings.

Reverse: Plain.

Ribbon: White with apple-green edges.

• first class - 65-mm neck badge on a 37-mm ribbon
    • second class - 55-mm breast badge on 37-mm ribbon with 23-mm rosette
    • third class - 45-mm breast badge on 37-mm ribbon (shown below)

I apologize. This is a hard one to scan. It is HEAVILY valuted and the suspending Olympic rings tend to flip over on scanning. This spoils the visual impression. Time to drag out the camera?

And a couple of Egyptian ribbon bars.

#1:

1- Liberation Order, Military Order of Merit/Union Order, End of Occupation Decoration

2- Miltary Independence Medal, Victory Medal, Sinai Liberation Medal

3- Military Medal of Courage, Medal of Military Duty, Medal of Training, Medal of Distinguished Service

4- Medal of Long Service and Good Example, War Wounded (?), October 6th, Army Day Medal

5- 10th Anniversary of Revolution, 20th Anniversary of Revolution, ????. Kuwait Liberation Medal

Egypt ribbon bar #2:

1- Sinai Liberation Medal, Medal of Training

2- Medal of Training , Medal for Long Service and Good Example, October 6 Memorial Medal

3- Silver Anniversary of the Air Force Medal, Army Day Commemorative Medal, Twentieth Anniversary of the Revolution Medal, Golden Anniversary of the Air Force Medal

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

I've seen it a few times and am wondering this:

why is the order of the nile awarded?

is it a military award?

thanks for any information

It was and still is a general merit award. Not only restricted to the military.

Egypt's President formerly was (and still may be) chief, formerly Grand Master, of all Egyptian Orders and some decorations, thus explaining Mubarak's Egyptian awards. As long-time head of state, he also holds many foreign decorations.

An Egyptian Crown Council affiliated with exiled King Fuad [Fu'ād] II administers his dynastic Muhamed Ali and Ismail Orders; occaisional awards still occur. An Egyptian source reports that Fuad authorized the Crown Council to re-institute the Royal Order of the Nile in the mid-late 1990s. One of Farouk's supposed "love-children" distributes an "Order of the Egyptian Crown" for a fee.

Thies apparently has a royal Order of Agriculture commander (likely a silver/gold high quality badge) to be offered in an upcoming auction.

Bichay's sign continues to reside store-front at 40 Talaat Harb, Cairo but inside one finds keychains and similar items sold by a person who claims to be (but is not) a family member.

Several publications, including Protocole, (Arabic, French & English, 1949) and Egyptian Orders and Decorations (Arabic, French & English, n.d. but 1980s), and Ed Haynes' website offer the best general coverage of this topic.

Yes, there are fantasy awards. I only concern myself with legitimate honours.

I have intentionally NOT been updating my websites after several hacking assaults on them after 11 September and, even worse, outright verbatim theft and publication by the two shameless pirates in a major phaleristic journal.

I think that the order of the nile is somewhat compareable with our order of the Netherlands Lion, it's awarded for special service towards the republic of Egypt and also for merit.

Megan's site remarks that it might be true that the order is no longer awarded, but I have seen a picture of one of my professors wearing both the knight Netherlands Lion and the egyptian medal, also knight's class.

Thus I doubt that the order is in complete disuse.

Kind regards,

Jacky

I couldn't possibly say about parallels to Dutch (or other awards). My latest information from Cairo is that it is still awarded at least in the Collar and Grand Cordon classes. The fate of the lower classes is less clear. It did continue after the revolution, but has, I believed, been pared back in recent years, as other orders took over its role and the old monarchist heritage became increasingly cumbersome.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

An Egyptian Crown Council affiliated with exiled King Fuad [Fu'ād] II administers his dynastic Muhamed Ali and Ismail Orders; occaisional awards still occur. An Egyptian source reports that Fuad authorized the Crown Council to re-institute the Royal Order of the Nile in the mid-late 1990s. One of Farouk's supposed "love-children" distributes an "Order of the Egyptian Crown" for a fee.

I want one!!! How much is the fee?!! :rolleyes:

:beer: Doc

Probably a lot, Doc. Unemployed/deposed descendants of former royals have a life style that takes much money to keep up, as the plunder of their ancestors is long gone. It may cost more to pretend than it did to be a king?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have this medal in my collection.

Suppose this is a medal of Military Duty. It`s diameter is 37 mm, not 32 mm.

How looks a correct ribbon for this medal?

What is a value of the medal?

Thanks in advance,

pluribus

See above.

Always useful to look for earlier threads.

Thank you for your very informative response.

Diameter of my medal is 37 mm, not 31 mm like you said in your above post.

Also I am not able to determine which is a correct ribbon for this medal and when was this awarded.

What does mean the maker mark ? on the medal?

The dates 1909-1379 on the medal ?

Maybe there is someone who can answer on my questions?

Thanks,

pluribus