News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Egypt

Ed_Haynes

Ilja,

Interesting pieces - are they the obverse and reverse of the same medal?

1st Image "Farouk the First" :1937 - 1355"

2nd Image "Centenary (Festival) of the Ministry of General Education" "1937"

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

Ilja,

The Arabic is very difficult to read - very stylised script, but I can read that the Order of the Republic 3rd Class was bestowed by President Gamal Abdul Nasser. I suspect that the Russian translation will be easier to translate into English.

Regards,

Owain

• 2 years later...

Paul, It isn't a 3 but the Arabic 'msr' (for Cairo) over 90 being the 900f silver mark present on many medals of this period - see also the suspension bar of this medal. Regards, Owain

Edited by oamotme

9 hours ago, Megan said:

It was instituted 9 July 1959 and awarded in 3 classes (gold, silver and bronze) to armed forces personnel for courage on the battlefield or other acts of courage or outstanding service.

Thank you Megan , 

Courage medal on the medalsbar of MG Smirnov, komander of soviet 18 Rocket Div. in Egypt 

image.jpeg

and colonel Boltjan - Staff Kommander of 18 Div. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

another "gold" medal - Military Duty - of soviet officer 

image.jpeg

Thank you for posting, Igor - very nice photos! I've seen Egyptian award documents to Soviet officers but not photos of them wearing the medals. Do you know if the 18th Rocket Division was an air defense (SAM) or FROG/SCUD unit, or when these officers served in Egypt? Thank you!

Chris

Paul, The silver mark is much clearer on the Decoration of Military Duty shown above, which incidentally is the United Arab Republic issue as opposed to the Decoration of Military Bravery which is the Arab Republic of Egypt version. Regards, Owain

18 Rocket Division - air defence of Egipt in 1970-72 yy, 10000 soldiers . 

Two officers receive Gold Star of Hero of the Soviet Union 

capitan Popov 

image.jpeg

and capitan Kutynzev 

image.jpeg

photo from Egypt - two capitans and MG Smirnov , 1970 

image.jpeg

from wiki - S-125 Neva/Pechora 

"... The Soviets supplied several SA-3s to the Arab states in the late 1960s and 1970s, most notably Egypt and Syria. The SA-3 saw extensive action during the War of Attrition and the Yom Kippur War. During the latter, the SA-3, along with the SA-2 and SA-6, formed the backbone of the Egyptian air defence network. In Egypt, March–July 1970 Soviet battalions of S-125 17 Shooting (35 missiles) were shot down 9 Israeli and Egyptian planes ..." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-125_Neva/Pechora 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Ilja,

A great find - the document would imply that the medal is an official award to be worn rather that just a commemorative piece. I note that the recent book on Egyptian awards refers to it as an 'Order of Friendship" and awarded to those engaged in the construction of the High Dam at Aswan. I believe the Arabic only issue came in silver and bronze while the bilingual issue is only in silver, but I may be wrong. The ribbon for the Arabic issue is green with  inset narrow yellow edge stripes. The bilingual Arabic Russian issue may have a different ribbon  - see is illustration below but this may be an 'add on'.

Regards,

Owain

Nile Dam Soviet Obverse Edit.jpg

On 3/25/2016 at 11:49, ilja559 said:

Republic of Egypt. Medal for the Building of the Aswan Dam with document.

DSC04173.JPG

DSC04174.JPG

DSC04175.JPG

DSC04176.JPG

DSC04162.JPG

DSC04164.JPG

DSC04168.JPG

My grandfather received a medal for his work for the Ministry of Social Solidarity from the governor of Domiat (Damietta) made with a similar mold, I guess you'd say. It was on a keychain though, not a ribbon.

12946860_588359801327527_804310350_o.jpg

12962552_588359837994190_631706097_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 4 years later...
    • 1 month later...

Of the Aswan medals using a pentagonal design on the suspension, there were bilingual - gold and silver, Arabic - silver and copper/bronze. The rest of the medals were awarded to the members of the delegations as commemorative ones. It was not possible to find out who was awarded the round medal of the Bank of Egypt.

Безымянный.jpg

Банк египта.jpg