News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schickle-Schinkels

Very interesting Gordon..

I have a Deumer catalogue from 1939 (which no doubt you have seen) clearly depicting EK1 and EK2 in Schinkelform.

Unfortunately, they are renditions not photos, and therefore provide no real clue as to whether Deumer actually made schinkelform EK's or simply at that early stage in the war, had no 'normal' style EK template with which to base their renditions on.

As yours appear to be photographs, is there any clue in the obverse as to a possible schickel connection with any of the actual schinkelform style pieces you have or have seen?

I am presuming not, as I'm sure you would have told us!

Marshall

Must admit I have never tried to do any matching. The Schickle images are indeed photographic but some have had slight "enhancing" , especially things like the EKs where the details of the black centres wouldn't show up to well on a normal photo. Here is a larger image of the EK1.

Even if yours are drawings, I would think that the fact they drew a Schinkelform rather than a regular type would suggest that's what they were offering for sale at the time. I'm sure the artists would have been capable of accurately reflecting the style. There are clearly several genuine variants of Schikelform cross so the likelyhood of several firms making them is logical enough.

P.S., If the image looks a little distorted its because the thick cartridge type paper of the catalogue is a little "rippled" due probably to damp storage at some time.

..I'm sure the artists would have been capable of accurately reflecting the style...

Agreed - they came up with quite a close rendition of the actual Deumer range of spangen - the 'embellishment' of the pre-filed heads aside.. blush.gif

Marshall

Dietrichs spanges...

Edited by Biro

wonderful thread!!

first, i have always preferred the Schinkel style cross from

an aesthetic standpoint. leaner, more delicate. for me, a

stylistic preference... it is also becoming much clearer to me

that there are schinkel styles of many varieties, presumably

as a result of each manufacturer's dies.

that it all came to rather a screeching halt with the LDO and

PK regs is also apparent. these photos give some definition

to the time sequence.

and retrospectively, as i've collected more 1914 EK 2's, these

pictures emphasize where these manufacturers came from.

i am struck by the subtle and not-so-subtle variations in the

imperial made EK's. perhaps these are basic observations,

but i DO love the nuances.

i particularly like what's been done with the heads on the spangen.

the addition of the "cowlick" is poetic/artistic license at work!

many thanks for this info.

joe

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen a Deumer catalog before love.gif could you post any page they have showing Wehrmacht long service award eagles in a new thread? That's one of the ways I try and ID who made ribbon bars, where design quirks in the smaller devices tend to be more pronounced.

Deumer and Schickle seem to have been a bit more removed in "artistic" drawings from the originals than Steinhauer & L?ck, whose more old fashioned "etchings" are actual EXACT duplications from photos of their wares.

There aren't many period catalogs out there, and identifying unmarked pieces from ones as precise as these three is almost miraculous! cheers.gif