News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 German Awards to women

Hallo Jan Arne S :cheers:

Do you know of any other pictures of this lady exsist?

I think she is wearing a badge on the right pocket of the uniform as well ,

but on this picture its very difficult to define.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards the Norweigen Awards there is also this badge,

known as the Front Line Sisters Badge it is classed as "Extremely Rare" and the picture is taken from:

GERMAN WORLD WAR 2 MEDALS & POLITICAL AWARDS, THE SATELLITE STATES.

by Mr. CHRIS AILSBY (ISBN 0 711028524).

Page 124. " This too was designed like the Front Line Soldier's Badge by Harald Damsleth in 1944 and was only awarded nine times.

It is still virtully unknown, even to the surviving front sisters. No award criteria are known, so it was probably meant to be the standard award for all nurses serving in front-line duties.It is similar to the Front Line Soldier's Badge but slightly more oval. . . .

What relationship this badge had to a Front Line Soldier's Badge is not clear.

Photographic evidence clearly shows Anne Gunhild Moxanes, who served with the "Wiking" Division wearing the Front Line Soldiers Badge. She was also awarded the Iron Cross II Class."

Now I wonder if that could be the lady in post 12 previous??

Kevin in Deva.

Hi

The Front Line Sister Badge was never Publised.Only prodused after WW2.

Regards

Nesredep

Hallo Jan Arne S :cheers:

Do you know of any other pictures of this lady exsist?

I think she is wearing a badge on the right pocket of the uniform as well ,

but on this picture its very difficult to define.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Hi

I want to show you some other pictures.

Regards

Nesredep

Gentlemen, great thread.

Here is my contribution, original WW2 photo, hand signed by DRK Schwester Marge Droste. Her signature did not scan so well. I believe she was either the 3rd or 4th women to receive the EK2. See post#1 for a different view of her.

Regards..Henry

Hallo Gents,

thanks for the extra pictures nesredep :jumping:

With regards EK II awards, seeing as a lot of the ladys pictured have the EK II.

I think its for carrying out their Nursing duties under enemy fire or danger from enemy attack.

I very much doubt that D. Red Cross members would be actively engaged in combat or carry weapons.

as this would contravine the Geneva Convention??

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Neat photos...

related topic...has anyone ever seen a photo of a woman being awarded OR wearing a mother's cross? I think it is an attractive order, but have never seen one captured in a photograph on a recipient...

Dan

Hallo Gents,

thanks for the extra pictures nesredep :jumping:

With regards EK II awards, seeing as a lot of the ladys pictured have the EK II.

I think its for carrying out their Nursing duties under enemy fire or danger from enemy attack.

I very much doubt that D. Red Cross members would be actively engaged in combat or carry weapons.

as this would contravine the Geneva Convention??

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Hi

Kevin in Deva

Happy to help. :beer:

Kind regards

Nesredep

With regards the Norweigen Awards there is also this badge,

known as the Front Line Sisters Badge it is classed as "Extremely Rare" and the picture is taken from:

GERMAN WORLD WAR 2 MEDALS & POLITICAL AWARDS, THE SATELLITE STATES.

by Mr. CHRIS AILSBY (ISBN 0 711028524).

Page 124. " This too was designed like the Front Line Soldier's Badge by Harald Damsleth in 1944 and was only awarded nine times.

It is still virtully unknown, even to the surviving front sisters. No award criteria are known, so it was probably meant to be the standard award for all nurses serving in front-line duties.It is similar to the Front Line Soldier's Badge but slightly more oval. . . .

What relationship this badge had to a Front Line Soldier's Badge is not clear.

Photographic evidence clearly shows Anne Gunhild Moxanes, who served with the "Wiking" Division wearing the Front Line Soldiers Badge. She was also awarded the Iron Cross II Class."

Now I wonder if that could be the lady in post 12 previous??

Kevin in Deva.

Hi

Anne Gunhild Moxanes from Drontheim ist die erste nicht-deutsche Frau der das EK.Verlichen worden ist.Nach einem Bombenangriff auf das Kriegslazarett in Reval erhielt si das EK.f?r ihrer aufopferden und mutigen Einsatz.

Regards

Nesredep

Guest WAR LORD

ANOTHER INTERESTING SET OF AWARDS TO BRITISH MILITARY PERSONNEL. THIS INCLUDES A NUMBER OF LADYS.

Known British recipients of the German Red Cross Decoration 1937-1939 were 1 matron, 12 sisters and other medical staff at the military hospital at Gibraltar and these include;

Captain John Primrose Douglas RAMC Cross of Merit 26. 7.1937

Sister Catherine McShane Frauenkreuz 26. 7.1937

Mrs. M.G. Burton Frauenkreuz 26 .7.1937

Mrs. Margaret Paula Lewis Frauenkreuz 26. 7.1937

Miss Cargill Lockhead Frauenkreuz 26. 7.1937

Miss Nora Smyth Frauenkreuz 26. 7.1937

Commander H.J. Murphy Cross of Merit 13. 1.1938

Nora Smyth ended her service as a Lieutenant Colonel in the QAIMNS QUARANC. Her British medals were, Royal Red Cross 1st Class, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and War Medal.

That is a great one, Henry. Anyone know her specific deeds? I would love to hear some acts performed by EK2 winning women!

In his book Auszeichnungen des Deutschen Reiches , Dr. Klietmann describes DRK-Schwester Magda Droste as the third female recipient of the EKII and states that she was wounded during a British air raid on Wilhelmshaven while tending to the wounded in a naval hospital.

Klietmann lists a number of further female recipients. With the exception of Flugkapit?nin Hanna Reitsch, Flugkapit?nin Gr?fin Schenk von Stauffenberg (both decorated for their achievements as test pilots) and the Nowegian nurse Anne Gunhild Moxness (all mentioned in the course of this thread), all the confirmed female recipients he accounts for were members of the DRK. Of these, all were DRK-Schwester apart from one who was a DRK-Hauptf?hrerin.

Details are not given for all recipients, but the descriptions, which seem to be from wartime sources, account for at least 27 confirmed female recipients of the EKII. In the limited number of cases where accounts are given of actions resulting in the award, they relate to tending the wounded while under enemy fire (including engagements with infantry and tanks, air attacks and artillery bombardment). Actions are noted in Germany, North Africa, Norway and Russia between 1941 and 1944.

Klietmann also details a number of unconfirmed awards in Germany during 1945 including a further eight Red Cross personnel; a messengers/runner who stirred the men into action during the heat of battle by passing an order to the front line under fire after three previous messengers had been killed; a Stabshelferin who carried weapons and ammunition during front line actions and helped search suspicious locations; two Wehrmachthelferinnen who enabled their commander to communicate with his troops by continuing to run the telephone switchboard until ordered to evacuate; three F?hrerinnen der RADwJ; and a Belgian nurse (the only other non-German mentioned) who continued to tend the wounded in the front line after her three sons had been killed.

Klietmann describes Hanna Reitsch as the only female recipient of the EKI. There is a single newspaper report from January 1945 that refers to an EK1 award to a DRK-Schwester on "Westfront" but there appears to be no further information to confirm this.

Edited by James Clark

• 4 years later...

Neat photos...

related topic...has anyone ever seen a photo of a woman being awarded OR wearing a mother's cross? I think it is an attractive order, but have never seen one captured in a photograph on a recipient...

Dan