News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fanststic pics (I think) of 1 Aussie and loads of Brits

I?ve just bought what to me, are fantastic Great War photos showing detail of uniform badges etc. Some I can?t id so would be grateful of some help.

This first one could be some mates who have just volunteered or are about to. They?re standing next to a YMCA tent by the look of the writing.

I?m not sure about this unit with the young looking boy in front.

Bandsmen maybe?

There are some good conduct stripes and a SAA badge I think. The collar dogs look like Prince of Wales feathers.

This lot have an assortment of cap badges, none of which I?m sure about. They also show wounded stripes and a trade badge.

King?s Colonials?

A guardsman going by the peak of his cap and possibly the King?s Own.

I don?t who this lot are either. ASC, RA and some Scots?

Are they oversea stripes on his right sleeve? A post war photo?

Please put me right on the units above and below.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Tony

The boy soldier. I wonder if looked so young after a couple of months at the front.

Hallo Tony, :cheers: some very nice pictures, with regards the young lad under 18s were forbiden to be in combat areas, not to say some did not falisfy their age but if, and when discovered, or after their Mothers reported they had enlisted under age they were usually returned to the Depot Battalion until they reached 18, then they would be sent to the front.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Some medics with the cleanest mess tin I?ve ever seen and some tasty Shaw?s Relish.

What might the burning bin be?

Could be for disposal of flammable rubbish.

Looking at the badge on the Australian in close up I don't think it is a Camel Corp badge. There appers to be an extra pair of stripes there. Could be Signals, airfield perimeter defence or a MG qualified soldier used in an AA role. Really nice phots.

Regards;

Johnsy

Edited by Tiger-pie

Tony,

Very top photo is post-war Green Howards drummers. Prior to then you rarely ever see collar badges being worn by infantry units, though not unusual among cavalry or yeomanry. They could possibly be regulars too as one is wearing at least two good conduct badges.

Now the photo with the mixed group ie Kings(Liverpool Regt), Royal Welsh Fusiliers,RAMC and South Lancs etc is interesting, thats because the blokes wearing the Royal Arms cap badges are probably members of the Labour Corps and what you're possibly looking at are members of a Divisional Salvage unit, which makes it post 1917.

The large unidentified group are Royal Engineers.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Super pic's Tony, I often find myself picking snaps up for no other reason than they are great fun to gaze at, without any hope of definitively identifying the individuals. It would be good to have a thread where people can contribute theirs, I must try and dig some out for a scan session.

Gilbert

Kev, quite true. I actually have a 14-15 Star to a soldier who was killed on the Somme in 1917, the poor bugger was aged 16 so must have only been 14 when he joined.

Johnsy, I should say that the reverse has a message from Len and a relation has also written (post 1939 I'd say) cousin Len who come over from Australia in World War I. I suppose that would add more weight to him being in the Flying Corps as opposed to the Camel Corps.

Graham, thanks for clearing those up. So they are Royal Arms cap badges, don't think I've ever seen one before.

Gilbert, get digging.

I don't find them for 50p or a Mark (half a Euro) anymore but I do like photos especially if they show the men as they were instead of the pre F/F plain uniform studio photo. The face of a bloke who's spent time at the front is quite often without a smile.

Tony

Hallo Tony, :cheers:

funny, but for some reason post 11 puts me in mind of the "Black and Tan" - "Irregulars" in Ireland

circa 1918 - 1920 period, now I can't say for sure, buts its just the look of the uniforms and leather ammo pouches.

A lot of patroling was done using lorries (Crossley Tenders?) between towns and villages in that eriod.

Kevin in Deva.

Hallo Tony, :cheers:

funny, but for some reason post 11 puts me in mind of the "Black and Tan" - "Irregulars" in Ireland

circa 1918 - 1920 period, now I can't say for sure, buts its just the look of the uniforms and leather ammo pouches.

A lot of patroling was done using lorries (Crossley Tenders?) between towns and villages in that eriod.

Kevin in Deva.

Now that would make the card double interesting, shame there's nothing noted on the reverse.

When did the Black & Tans start wearing their B & T uniform? Was it light coloured trousers and a dark tunic? I remember seeing a picture of one on a PG Tip card when I was little.

Tony

Hallo Tony :cheers:

again off the head I would say circa early 1919 to late 1920, will have to have a look through some of my reference files (written only) that I compiled with regards the book I am working on. As I said in my previous post its just speculation but the image looks like some old pictures I saw a few years ago doing research. It might just as easily be a mixed patrol of British Army units, which happened as well.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Personally I think the photo in post 11 aren't Black & Tans at all, but probably Army of Occupation in Germany, post 1919/1920. They're a mixed bag of RASC, RA, RE and an obvious Jockinese unit, but alas the Balmoral cap's aren't showing the cap badge. I believe 'B&T's' wore mixed dress, both SD khaki, with the dark green of the Royal Irish Constabulary, as the were a reserve Police unit and hence the nickname. For head-dress I believe the Caubeen was worn and none of these men are wearing a Caubeen.

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

that's definitely an AFC colour patch on the Aussie digger.

- Chris

Thanks for the confirmation Chris, it fits in with Johnsy's comment.

Here?s another postcard I bought the other day.

Probably taken in late 1918/early 1919, the man in civvies is wearing his SWB, the signaller has a brass wounded stripe and the lance jack could be a farrier if that thing on his arm is a horseshoe badge.

Anyone know who has a white lanyard, was it the RA or AOC?

Tony

• 1 month later...

I've managed to find a couple more that I like.

First up is Arnie of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade feeling the cold in France, Jan 1917. He's also looking forward too seeing Alex on his side of the Channel.