News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St Helena medal

Alex K

Hi had this in my collection for a looong time, never gave it much thought. However does anyone anything about it?

being St Helena, I assume it's about Napoleon's period spent on that Island. Why was it awarded, how many were awarded, and is the ribbon the correct one as it's the 1914-18 Croix De Guerre, any help appreciated

regards

Alex

Hallo Alex, :cheers:

just off the head, and I stand open to correction, but I think this got issued as a commemorative medal,

to old survivors from his French Regiments from the "Old Days" of pre Waterloo vintage,

as a reward for the faithful service.

Must dig deeper and see what I can find.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

• 6 months later...

Hi

There are differences between St Helene ribbon and Croix de Guerre French War Cross ribbon:

St Helene: red strip = 1,8 mm

French War Cros : red strip = 1,5 mm

red strip is crimson / red brick on St Helene and red-red on the War Cross

See below 3 sizes of this commemorative medal:

Edited by monfort1

Monfort 1 is absolutely right.

The St Helene ribbon is different of the WWI croix de guerre one. Many have been replaced, but after 1915, date of creation of the croix de guerre. I seriously doubt that many veterans wore the St Helene medal at this time and replaced their old ribbon.

My contribution to this great topic:

The original box in which this medal was sent to the veterans in 1857 and after:

dsc00010.jpgdsc00011.jpgdsc00012.jpg

Edited by Bison

Unfortunately, I have nothing constructive to add. I am just amazed at the history on this single thread! The cased set is amazing. Just think of the hands that have held it over the past century and a half!

what does it say on the back there? Wasn't Orleans a Royalist? or is this a member of the "republican branch" who was never forgiven for voting for the execution of Louis?

On the back it written "the St Helena medal to Mr Girardot senior and the Duke of Orleans medal to Mr Girardot junior".

That is to say that the father was a veteran of the French Imperial Army, and his son obtained this so-called "Duke of Orleans" medal. I assume that this last medal is only a commemorative and unofficial one, amoung many araised during the period of "Restauration" between 1815 and 1848. Louis-Philippe 1er, King of France and Duke of Orleans ruled the country from 1830 to 1848.

Monfort 1 is absolutely right.

The St Helene ribbon is different of the WWI croix de guerre one. Many have been replaced, but after 1915, date of creation of the croix de guerre. I seriously doubt that many veterans wore the St Helene medal at this time and replaced their old ribbon.

My contribution to this great topic:

The original box in which this medal was sent to the veterans in 1857 and after:

dsc00010.jpgdsc00011.jpgdsc00012.jpg

Hi Bison,

This is a fantastic set!!!! :jumping::jumping: Congrats!!!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

That really is a fsantastic box. here is a picture owned by the chap therein so named on the jpg.. Its from this excellent web site! Published for purposes of academic discussion only I might add.

http://www.stehelene.org/php/accueil.php?p...4&total=165

To see what these men saw-

Edited by Ulsterman