News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3 Rivet Osang Ground Assault Badge

Hello,

I am thinking of buying this. I have found some examples I believe are fake , but this one's maker mark is a dead ringer for an Osang mark. I cannot find anything quite like it out there , but I must say I believe it to be genuine. I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these or knows anything about this piece.

I thank everyone in advance for any help.

Best

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I know Osang produced Feinzink Ground Assualt, but I haven't seen this one before either. What bugs me is the hinge and catch-plate, also the rounded edges.

I believe this is a reproduction with an intent to resemble the R.K. or M.U.k. 41 design in regards of the the three rivets and the wide pin. I would pass on it, or at least hear what the "gurus" have to say wink.gif

KR

Peter

Peter,

Thanks!

The rivets are much different than on the single-rivet model. The eagle is very , very close. There are certain parts that are exactly like other Osang eagles I've seen , right down to the line that comprise the feathers.

I will try to get more information.

Best

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

G.H Osang produced the text book wire stock pin type... single rivet, wide pin examples are widely accepted as original but, As far as I know, the jury is still out when it comes to these 3 rivet, wide pin types.

IMO, it?s one of those that you pays your money and takes your chances.

Personally, I would err on the side of caution?unless you like a gamble? unsure.gif

Hi,

I have to say I'm a sceptic of 3-rivet Osangs. The one imaged here looks OK on the obverse but the reverse looks soft (in post#3 look at the indentation made by the end of the pin into the back of the badge, just below the hinge) and the hinge/pin/catch assembly imo just does not look right - although the images are certainly not great.

Reini, you asked for a link - there's one on Mike Pinkus' site;

http://groundassaultbadges.homestead.com/Gallery.html

I have to admit the reverse hardware on that one looks more believeable than your example.

Regards

Mike K

Edited by Mike K

• 2 weeks later...

This badge has arrived and I've taken some detailed close-ups. I also have measurements. I like the look of it , but would enjoy hearing all opinions , good or bad.

It weighs exactly 34 grams and the wreath is just a hair shy of 1.75 inches wide and 2.25 inches high.

First , a couple of shots of the eagle. It looks exactly like a buntmetal with silver finish. You can see the finish is worn off on the high spots revealing the brass-colored metal underneath.

Best

Kurt

Well, in short, I like this badge.. Of course this is only my opinion.

With all the tooling and processes involved in producing a badge of such quality, I just can?t see that fakers would go to all the trouble and expense of producing a badge that we see so little of in the market place.

The obverse of the badge looks ?Osang?.

The reverse; correct catch/catch plate. Rivets; not much to compare them with but look period. The wide pin/hinge; not unknown for Osang to use such a setup.

Finishing (file marks); typical Osang?. But the thing that wins it for me is the maker mark? Seeing that ?Osang? mark is probably one of the most favoured manufactures to be copied by fakers, (to date, I?ve not seen a faked maker mark that comes close to the original) this mark looks to be totally correct. The characteristics I look for on an original mark, amongst others, are that the ?O?s? look like ?B?s?? this mark has this characteristic, a hard thing to reproduce.

All in all? A good looking badge. I would say that your gamble has paid off, Kurt.

Posted, are maker marks from a known original (top) and Kurt?s example (bottom).

Thanks to you both! While still not 100% certain , I really do like the badge. I realize ownership might affect my objectivity , but I still cannot find anything wrong with the badge that would leave me with doubts.

The mark is a dead-ringer , of course , but another detail that has me very close to convinced is the buntmetal color showing thru on the worn parts of the eagle. This would suggest much more care went into it's production than one normally sees on fakes. The color is exactly like that which I've seen on other Osang buntmetal eagles and was just what I was hoping to find upon this badge's arrival. Between that , the maker mark , and the hand-finishing marks , I just cannot believe this piece is a fake.

I am very pleased with it , but still encourage anyone with doubts to post them. Thanks again!

Best

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I've never seen one like it before, with that setup / rivit combination. I must admit that the front of the badge does look to be a spot on Osang. I do like the mm also - it's hard to imitate that fudged up "G" and the end of "OSANG". The catch looks Osang as well as JTW had mentioned.

I can't comment on the rivits - again, I never saw this style of rivit on an Osang before.

Overall I would say it is OK - I just wish we could see a second or third example that has your badges' stylization. That would be icing on the cake! Definately a conversation piece!

ERIC