News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coldstream Guards & RAF Grouping

Evening Gents,

Thought I'd share this interesting grouping which came my way recently. It is a big group (50 plus items) to a chap called David Prentice.

Prentice joined the Coldstream Guards in 1942, served in Italy and received the Italy Star, 39-45 Star and War Medal, and was honourably discharged in 1947. He then joined the Polic Force, but obviously didn't find it to his liking as he left after a year and joined the RAF for a further 17 years.

What is probably most interesting is the small part he played in the devolvement of British colonial power in Cyprus. In August 1958, Prime Minister Macmillan visited Cyprus, Turkey and Greece in an effort to find a plan which would avert terrorist attacks on the island http://www.cyprus-conflict.net/macmillan_plan.htm.

Our man Prentice apparently played a role in averting a sabotage attack on the P.M.'s plane, for which he received a signed photo and a commendation from number 10 Downing Street.

Anyway, hope this is of interest to some here, I will let you know if further research brings more detail on this story.

Cheers All,

Gilbert

Guest Rick Research
    jumping.gifbeer.gif Wonder if the attempted sabotage made the newspapers then or was hushed up... and you have the ONLY record thereof. ninja.gif

Thanks Guys,

That's an interesting thought Rick - in the letter from number 10 it's mentioned that Prentice and his colleagues had a 'trying time in Athens'.

Perhaps this enigmatic statement refers to an incident which was not made public knowledge (of course it could just have referred to a dodgy moussaka they ate there! tongue.gif ). I guess details might be realised after 60 years have passed?

It would be nice to think that there is a hidden story behind this group - I will do more research and post further pic's when I get a chance.

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy