News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

World War 1 Steel Helmets

Jim P

Here are the 2 world war 1 helmets I have.1st up is my M1917A1 marked for the 33rd Illinois infantry regiment (the Golden Cross)which later became a division.

It has the complete liner,suspension,and chin strap.It is marked FS 29.I assume that is a makers mark,but have not been able to find out whos mark it is,Firestone maybe?

Jim P

Here is my M-16 german stahlhelm.Marked TE66.The liner is long gone.The shell has a coat of dark brown over top of the original feldgau,which looked like rust in the picture I bought it from.After some gentle cleaning it turned out to be paint.although ther is some rust pitting present it is a very solid helmet.I assumed that the brown was an attempt at camo as there is some dark green spots stil on it here and there.What do you guys think.

Jim P

Hello Jim,

The only other FS I know about is Thomas Firth and Sons who supplied steel from Sept. 1915 to 1919. It could well be Firestone though being an American made tin hat.

WWI steel is something I like too. I have a British made US used MKI, a Brit MKI, an Aussie rimless MKI, an Austrian with M31 liner, M16 sort of relic, M17, Belgian M15, 2 French M15s and a Russian relic M15.

As this thread is only about US and German I'll just attach pics of those.

Tony

Nice lids Tony.I for one would like to see your other WW1 steel.Especially your Russian M-15.I started this thread with American/German, as that is all the helmets I have from WW1.

Come on guys lets see them all.

Jim P

Nice lids Tony.I for one would like to see your other WW1 steel.Especially your Russian M-15.I started this thread with American/German, as that is all the helmets I have from WW1.

Come on guys lets see them all.

Jim P

Ok Jim,

I'll try to post the other pics tonight after I get back from taking my son to his swimming lesson.

The Russian M15 is a bit of a mess though so don't expect much.

Tony

A relic Russian.

I thought the badge may have been added at a later date to a French blue M15 but the outline of the Russian badge can be seen when removed.

Someone told me once there's a blue Adrian with Russian badge in a museum in E. Europe. I'm not sure where but it was Hungary, Bulgaria or somewhere like that.

Left to right:

Austrian, relic M16 with French writing to the front and rear, M17 (looking rustier than it really is), French inf. Adrian and Russian Adrian.

Right, I'd better get my skates on because I have to get young Mark to the swimming pool.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Great little collection you've got going there Tony.I have only 1 m15 adrian,and it is Italian and in very poor shape.Thanks for showing yours.I especially like the Russian M-15 as I have only seen one other.They are very rare from what I am told.

The mustouche on the Belgian helmet display is a nice touch LOL.

If not for all the money I have spent lately,I would make the french helmet my own.

Thanks for sharing,

Jim P

I have only 1 m15 adrian,and it is Italian and in very poor shape.                            Jim P

An Italian M15? Where are the pics?

Get posting Jim, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it no matter what the condition is.

Tony

Well here it is.When I 1st bought it a couple of years ago in an antique store,I thought it was french.But,no french helmet could I find where the comb had been spot welded on(not riveted like all other adrians).This helmet is also more round than other adran helmets.

The holes in the front were a post ww1 addition for various badges.They had no badges on them during ww1.This helmet was made of very thin sheet metal which is bent or dented very easily. Even though it offered very little protection,it was still in limited use up to 1945.It was originaly a pea green with a 2nd coat of darker green added later.

Even though it is in very poor condition I really like it,if for no other reason than it is the only one I've ever seen.

Hope you like it,

Jim P