News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Sacred Treasures

Tim B

Well, lots of looks but no comments over at WAF, so thought I would try it over here and see what kind of inputs I get.

I am curious about the mirrors on these awards. For those that have any in your collections, post some of your medals. One of the things I am curious about concerns the mirror on the lower 8th and 7th class awards. So far, I have yet to see any differences in mirrors on these two lower classes when comparing the Meiji to Showa medals.

I'll start out posting a comparison shot of two 6th class awards and you can see the mirror differences on these, but I do not see these larger, more rounded mirrors on the lower two classes. Has anybody?

Tim

Meiji on the left, Showa on the right:

Edited by Tim B

And here is my 7th Class; This one is Meiji period and comes in a Meiji case and has the bow style lapel device. Again, the pointed mirror looks the same to me, but in this case I would expect it for a Meiji period award.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hi Erik!

Yes, I have seen this on Meiji style awards and discussing this issue with one of the Japanese dealers, he states the earlier ones were in fact engraved by hand. I see this trait on my awards as well. However, I guess what I am asking here is: Is there a noticable difference in the "mirror" between the Meiji and Showa Sacred Treasures at the 7th and 8th grade awards?? I have seen many for sale, but never one with the more rounded mirror at these two levels.

Thank you for responding!!

Tim

Hi Erik!

Yes, I have seen this on Meiji style awards and discussing this issue with one of the Japanese dealers, he states the earlier ones were in fact engraved by hand. I see this trait on my awards as well. However, I guess what I am asking here is: Is there a noticable difference in the "mirror" between the Meiji and Showa Sacred Treasures at the 7th and 8th grade awards?? I have seen many for sale, but never one with the more rounded mirror at these two levels.

Thank you for responding!!

Tim

Well I don't have it with me but from memory I would say that the mirror is slightly larger and rounder than other orders.

Hope this helps.

/Erik

Hi Erik!

Actually another member at WAF (Andrew) posted an example in 7th class of what I think is a Showa piece based on the mirror. His is in a Meiji era case.

Note: I'll post the PIC here for continuity but remove it if Andrew wants it down.

At least I know now that the medal style did change for all levels when comparing Showa/Meiji pieces.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 1 year later...