News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The "Troubles" in Ireland, circa 1920's - a few documents.

A few documents from 3 scrap albums I bought a few years ago. They include a lot of civilian scraps & photos but also some WWI & WWII military photos & include a wartime photo of a member of the family (Stafford Byers) with Tito on the island of Vis & a later photo of an American astronaut - presumably a family friend.

I believe the albums relate to the family of Frank Byers, a Liberal MP of the 50's - 60's, I have'nt checked up on the persons named in them but there are links to America as well as to England & Ireland.

It's sad that these albums came on to the market, there's a lot of information & photos that should be of great interest to descendants ranging from photos of babies, childrens cards through to Frank Byers WWII photo ID as an officer of the British/Indian army.

Here's a 1919 motor vehicle permit to Sir John W Byers, issued by the Royal Irish Constabulary, Belfast District. Also visble is the top half of a ration coupon.

A Curfew Permit issued 1924 to Lady Byers & Messrs F.R. & S Byers - presumably children Frank & Stafford Byers - "and motor car if necessary & required" giving permission to be out between the hours of midnight & 5 am because of an illness in the family. Issued by the Curfew Branch of the Commissionaer's Office RUC Belfast (the Royal Irish Constabulary having by now been renamed the Royal Ulster Constabulary).

Guest Rick Research

This is fascinating stuff! My very rural Irish family were way south of the urban troubles or had emigrated here in the Auld Queen's last years, so we missed all this.

I've checked but nothing on Sir John in the 1935 British edition of "Who's Who."