News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Irish War of Independance

Hi All...

I thought some of you might be interested to see this - something not encountered everyday... A memorial/death card for:

Sean Doyle,

4th Batt. Engineers, I.R.A.

Inchicore, Dublin

who was shot at Kilmashogue, Co. Dublin

on Sunday 19th September, 1920

by the armed forces of the British Crown

Aged 19 years.

Sorry about the image quality, it was photographed in bad light and heavily compressed to reduce the file-size.

Regards - Danny

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly was the function of his unit - "Engineers"? Would it be the same as a regular military unit of engineers?

And the illustration of the badge behind the tricolours - similar to the Republics cap badge, is this what it represents or was it of a different design?

I'm not too clued up on these kind of insignia.

It is very unusual to see a unit designation like "Engineers", the normal description was just x Battalion, y Brigade. In the context of the Anglo Irish War IRA, engineers would possibly have been bomb makers or else blokes who dug up roads to create barricades etc.

The symbol is a representation of the cap badge, the Dublin Brigade cap badge was almost identical to the modern FF badge.

• 1 year later...

Hi Gentlemen,

I have a photo of his grave and also one of his funeral heading down emmet Road Inchicore, Dublin if you are interested. There is also a memorial on the spot in which he was shot.

Permission I belive is required here as its now in the middle of a golf course.

Regards

James Langton

Edited by James1964

Hi Gentlemen,

I have a photo of his grave and also one of his funeral heading down emmet Road Inchicore, Dublin if you are interested. There is also a memorial on the spot in which he was shot.

Regards

James Langton

Hello James,

Welcome to GMIC!.

I'd love to see those photographs, would you mind posting them here and if you cannot,

would you mind emailing them to me to post?

Regards - Danny

Welcome James.

I am sure you will enjoy these blokes and their kowledge as much as I have.

As a relatively newbie myself welcome too to the waters of nothing-is-too-big-to-post. You'll figure it out I'm sure, trial and error, but start by getting the resolution down to about 150 and work on the target size - 110 x 100 or something close to it.

BUT BEWARE THAT THE EPSON-EERS DONT CATCH UP TO YOU! :speechless1:

regards

Thomas

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (James1964 @ Jun 24 2009, 20:11 ) Hi Gentlemen,

Regards

James Langton

Hello James,

Welcome to GMIC!.

I'd love to see those photographs, would you mind posting them here and if you cannot,

would you mind emailing them to me to post?

Regards - Danny

Hello Diarmuid,

Welcome to the site, not too long here myself, and I must add a nice bunch of chaps here.

Do you have a copy of that poem by any chance? Or indeed anything on the Fourth Battalion especially F coy?

Doing a project on them at the moment and would be greatful for any information or articles etc on them.

My email is langton39@hotmail.com

Kind Regards

James Langton

• 1 year later...

What exactly was the function of his unit - "Engineers"? Would it be the same as a regular military unit of engineers?

It is very unusual to see a unit designation like "Engineers", the normal description was just x Battalion, y Brigade. In the context of the Anglo Irish War IRA, engineers would possibly have been bomb makers or else blokes who dug up roads to create barricades etc.

I hope my first post is of interest here.

I've taken excerpts from my maternal Grandfather's Military Service Pension Application form.

They clearly support Paul L Murphy's description of 'Engineers' from this period. Also they show, in this particular case, 'Engineers' to be a small unit within my Grandfather's company, going on to form a larger body at Battalion or Brigade level.

img009.jpg

img010.jpg

img011.jpg

img013.jpg

img014.jpg

img012.jpg

img016.jpg

img015.jpg

img017.jpg

Just seeing this thread now, & that is a very interesting card. Here is a very small addition ot the thread. His father Alderman Peadar S Doyle was a friend of Vincent Byrne (Comdt. Vincent Byrne II Bn, Dublin Brigade, Old IRA - of Michael Collins' Squad) here are a couple of christmas cards from him to V.Byrne.

Vincent-Byrne-Scrapbook-196.jpg