News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Partisans Doctor

Lieber Waldemar,

great finds :cheers: .

Medical treatment and welfare of the wounded had been extremly important among Tito's partisans :jumping: .

Communist partisans would have never left the wounded behind the lines of the Nazi-butchers :love: .

What did you pay for these 2 medals :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Thank you Christian,

one of this Medals this of Hospital Franja could be find in our book 'Yugoslavia Army Insignia & Decorations 1918 - 1990'. Another one of Hospital Pavla is depicture there. There are some questions:

- how many such Partisans Doctor Medals each for another Hospital exist?

- how many Medals in each category were issued?

- Final question: who was the bearer of this Medal: Doctor or Wunded? There are wounded medals almost in each countra or army. But I never heard about Medal for Partisan Doctor. If the bearer was a partisan doctor then there are not so many Medals.

We have still more questions as answers.

But one day....

I saw such Medals for $50. But I have no idea if it is fair or to much.

best regards

waldemar

These two medals are actualy ww2 commemorative medals that were isued for 35 aniversary of the hospital Franja and hospital Pavla. Both hospitals were introduced in 1943. They are not official yugoslav awards, but commemorative Slovenian awards.

Hospital Franja medal : 110 golden medals issued on the red ribbon for hospital personel and 500 golden medals awarded with yellow ribbon with red stripes to wounded that were treated there. There were also 1200 bronze medals that have been for sale on the aniversary commemoration.

hospital Pavla medal: 100 golden medals, issued on red ribbon for hospital personel and 500 golden medals with red ribbon with black stripes to wounded partisans that were treated there. There were also 600 bronze medals that were for sale at the aniversary commemoration.

So yours are for the wounded partisans that were treated in those hospitals during ww2.

There are no other commemorative medals for partisan hospitals as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Ostfront

Ostfront I'm speechless. :o

I try to find more informations about all EX-YU Awards. The only book I have is this above mentioned. I try to read even 'dinar' but still I could not find exactly data. And now you describe not only the category of this medals but give us exactly data about number of issued medals. I'm happy that you give us this information. It is frustrating that there is no book or catalog of this Order/Medals. :angry:

What book or materials do you use?

thank you. :cheers:

wlodzimierz

Me too. :rolleyes:

On the obverse you can see the same nurse with wounded partisan as on the medal for hospital Pavla. The shape and the size of the medal is also the same. On the rear side there is the initial of the name and surname in the center and around it there is a title "PARTIZANSKA BOLNICA VZH. POHORJA P-2". Ribbon is a bit different - 5 angles and a star in the center. Only 70 medals were made, 62 with the name and surname and other 8 without it. They gave medals on the 40th anniversary of the end of the war - on 21. july 1985 on Pohorje.

Like I said - rare as hell - never seen one to buy it.

Yes I know this medal. But that one is slightly different in design because it was not made by the same manufacturer. Also, it doesn't have two grades, for personell and wounded, like the Franja and Pavla medals. So we can't say they are from the same series of medals.

But it was awarded for the same reason, to commemorate a hospital, so you are right on this part. And it is super rare, never saw one for sale myself eather.

The medalions on Franja and Pavla medals are 30 mm wide and the ribbon is 24 mm wide and 14 mm high.

Me too. :rolleyes:

On the obverse you can see the same nurse with wounded partisan as on the medal for hospital Pavla. The shape and the size of the medal is also the same. On the rear side there is the initial of the name and surname in the center and around it there is a title "PARTIZANSKA BOLNICA VZH. POHORJA P-2". Ribbon is a bit different - 5 angles and a star in the center. Only 70 medals were made, 62 with the name and surname and other 8 without it. They gave medals on the 40th anniversary of the end of the war - on 21. july 1985 on Pohorje.

Like I said - rare as hell - never seen one to buy it.

Yes I know this medal. But that one is slightly different in design because it was not made by the same manufacturer. Also, it doesn't have two grades, for personell and wounded, like the Franja and Pavla medals. So we can't say they are from the same series of medals.

It's true it doesn't have ranks but it's defenitly from the same series! Maybe the author is someone else but all three medals are pretty similar and they all were manufactured in engraver workroom of Silvo Canker from Ljubljana.

OK, how about this, the first two medals "Franja" and "Pavla" were awarded in 1978 on the same day and on the same ceremony. The third "Pohorje" was awarded in 1985 (7 years later) on an entierly different ceremony and is somewhat different in design (with completly different ribbon) and has no grades.

So are you still claiming that the three medals belong to the same series? If you are, then we just dissagree. :speechless:

• 3 years later...

Gentlemen,

HUGELY interested in any possibility of obtaining true examples of these for a resistance/partisan collection. Not only is that my primary focus in collecting, but am also in the medical profession as well. I apologize for the right turn from the discussion, but would be indebted to anyone for a reputable POC or dealer and any further research references.

Furthermore, much appreciated for the forum and information provided to the public.

M.

Edited by Michael156

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, HUGELY interested in any possibility of obtaining true examples of these for a resistance/partisan collection. Not only is that my primary focus in collecting, but am also in the medical profession as well. I apologize for the right turn from the discussion, but would be indebted to anyone for a reputable POC or dealer and any further research references. Furthermore, much appreciated for the forum and information provided to the public. M.

There's a dealer in Canada (Slovenian guy) who sometimes has these medals (possibly not awarded pieces, but (genuine) leftovers from the defuncted producer) - drop him a note and maybe you'll get some:

http://shop.ebay.com/militaryauctionhouse/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

• 4 months later...

Valter,

Thank you for the recommendation. I have been able to secure three good examples due to your assistance.

Very interesting and rare thread here - thanks to all for the information and contribution.

M.

I'm glad to help!