News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rough Rider Vet Document Grouping

Mike

A fellow Collector found this set at (I believe) an Estate sale about a year ago ..he was lucky.

Anyway ...Jason made a trip to NY yesterday and I was finally able to meet him "off" the Forums. He gave me the set .

I believe the "youngsters" call that .."Old School" ..the way our Hobby use to be ..a Code among Collectors that apparently is still alive and well .

Thought I'd share it with you

Howard Kelley just Emailed me after doing some nice research on this grouping.

Thanks Howard Here?s what he came up with ---- >>

> >

The 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry, better known as the "Rough Riders" is one of the most well-documented and famous volunteer fighting forces in American history.

The "Rough Riders" was formed from men from the western frontier of the United States, men who were used to life in the saddle and to the use of firearms - and from some eastern high-class young men who were athletic and also skilled in horsemanship and the use of guns...but for entirely different reasons. In addition there were men from almost everywhere else! The unit included miners, cowboys preachers, tradesmen, writers, professors, athletes, and clergymen. Remarkably, there were men from each of the forty-five states then in existence, the four territories and from fourteen countries! There were even sixty Native Americans on the roster. The unique combination reflected the interesting contrasts in one of the men who was one of the driving forces behind the unit ? Theodore Roosevelt, the man who was initially the regiment?s lieutenant colonel and later its colonel. >>

When word went out that Roosevelt and Colonel Leonard Wood, were raising a regiment, volunteers from all over appeared. Twenty-three hundred men volunteered in the first twenty-four hours, of which only a small percentage could be accepted. Even the future creator of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs tried to enlist.>>

The unit was mustered into service between May 1 and May 21, 1898 in various locations in Texas, New Mexico and what was then termed ?Indian Territory? (Arizona and Oklahoma ). At the time of muster in, the unit consisted of 47 officers and 994 enlisted men. The uniqueness of the regiment, the bombastic energy of Roosevelt(until recently the assistant secretary of the navy) and Roosevelt?s gift for public relations and self-promotion brought the unit much publicity even before its worth was proven in battle. >>

From San Antonio, Texas, the unit was ordered, on May 27, to Port Tampa, Florida, for the invasion of Cuba. At Port Tampa, things were in great disarray, and the Vth Corps, of which the Rough Riders were now a part, was highly disorganized. In the confusion of embarking on the transports, several regiments were assigned to the same transport, the YUCATAN. Roosevelt got his men aboard, realizing that once aboard, would probably not be forced to disembark. The Rough Riders stayed aboard, to the chagrin of the other regiments. Sadly for some, because of a lack of room in the army transport, only eight of the regiment's twelve troops (troops A, B, D, E, F, G, K, and L) went to Cuba, with the other four (troops C, H, I, and M) remaining behind in Florida. Also, the regiment had to leave its horses behind in Florida, and essentially served in Cuba as an infantry regiment. >>

In Cuba, the regiment fought at Las Guasimas, and then at the famous San Juanlace> and Kettle Hills. The regiment proved its worth and truly lived up to all of the publicity it had already received. For his efforts to lead in the assault at Kettle and San Juan hills, Roosevelt would eventually be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor (an honor he truly earned, but which, for political reasons, he would not receive until over eighty years after his death). >>

After the fighting ended and the summer wore on, disease among the troops began to rise. Eventually the War Department was embarrassed into bringing the battle-worn troops back home, to be replaced by other, fresh troops. The Rough Riders arrived back in the U.S. on August 15, three days after an armistice had been declared, and went into camp at Montauk Point, Long Island (Camp Wikoff), New York . >>

The unit was mustered out of service on September 15, 1898 at Camp Wikoff. At the time of muster out, the unit consisted of 52 officers, and 1,185 enlisted men. During its term of service, the unit lost two officers and 21 enlisted men killed in action; and three more men died of wounds received in battle. Nineteen more men died of disease, and twelve men deserted. Additionally, seven officers and 97 enlisted men were wounded. The Rough Riders had the highest casualty rate of all of the regiments involved in the actions in Cuba. >>

For only being in existence for 133 days, the unit won its place in history, and has since passed into legend. >>

> >

http://www.spanamwar.com/index.htm >>

Since 4 of the Rough Rider Companies/Troops didn't have room on the Transports ...Frank Marion ( the Bugler for Troop "M" )..and the others were left behind in Florida and didn't make it to Cuba.

But he didn't give up and after Mustering out of the Rough Riders , he enlisted in the 33'd Texas Infantry and fought in the Philippines.

THIRTY-THIRD INFANTRY. The Thirty-third Infantry regiment of United States Volunteers, known as the "Texas Regiment" because of the popular belief that it was composed of ex-cowboys, was one of the most famous American combat units to serve in the Philippine Insurrection of 1898-1902. It was raised under the provisions of the Army Act of March 3, 1899, specifically for duty in the Philippines, and served in the archipelago from October 27, 1899, to March 2, 1901. The Thirty-third was commanded by Col. Luther Rector Hare,qv a tough regular army major who had commanded the First Texas Cavalry in 1898. Company officers were selected from a mixture of regulars, state militia, and veteran volunteers of the Spanish-American War. A third of the Thirty-third's officers came from Texas and another third from the Southwest and South, a geographic pattern that was followed by the enlisted men. The Thirty-third was organized in July and August at Fort Sam Houston and Camp Capron, near San Antonio, where the men were trained in marksmanship, skirmishing, and forced marching. In November and December 1899 the Thirty-third distinguished itself in the battles of Magnatarem, Tirad Pass, Vigan, and Taguidin Pass. From late December 1899 to February 1901, the regiment served as a counterinsurgency constabulary in the First District, Department of Northern Luzon, under the command of Gen. Samuel B. M. Young. The Thirty-third was dispersed into small garrisons throughout Abra and Ilocos Sur, and many officers assumed civil functions in these two provinces. These garrisons served as local strongholds from which American forces could control the countryside by hunting down guerrillas and cutting them off from the native populace. The regiment also organized a mobile mounted force, known as the "mosquito fleet," which served as an emergency reserve and raiding force. The regiment's garrison service was a major factor in restoring order to Abra and Ilocos Sur and preparing these provinces for American colonial government. Several of the men chose to remain in the Philippines to serve with the Philippine Constabulary, as native scouts, or as members of the colonial civil service. The rest of the regiment was withdrawn from northwestern Luzon in February and March and mustered out of United States service in San Francisco on April 17, 1901.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/index.html

wow!!! Now THAT is a gift!!

Frank was a trumpeter-originally in company A: maybe even part Cherokee I'd reckon-he was from the "Indian Territory" (Oklahoma) at time of his enlistment.

Edited by Ulsterman

well, I looked in my Span Am medal roll, my Phillipene Medal roll, My Phillipene Congressional medal roll and even my Mexican Border service roll just for good measure-but no luck.

But the Rough Riders are well documented and TR's book is great.

RR is a genealogy wizard...I'll bet he could find even more arcane historical factoids-somewhere...the truth is out there...somewhere.

Edited by Ulsterman

You're right ..it says Indian Terr on the outside of that brown folder.

I'm thrilled with the group ...maybe , just maybe someday I could find his numbered SPAN AM War Medal to put back with it

He might not have gotten around to applying for any of the decorations he was entitled to. Always great to actually have photos along with these older lots. Great group.

Edited by Andwwils

well, I looked in my Span Am medal roll, my Phillipene Medal roll, My Phillipene Congressional medal roll and even my Mexican Border service roll just for good measure-but no luck.

But the Rough Riders are well documented and TR's book is great.

RR is a genealogy wizard...I'll bet he could find even more arcane historical factoids-somewhere...the truth is out there...somewhere.

His name shows up as a member of Troop M on this site --

http://www.spanamwar.com/index.htm

There must be more available on him out there someplace.

Maybe Andwwils is right and he never applied for the Awards ..or something was overlooked ?

His name shows up as a member of Troop M on this site --

http://www.spanamwar.com/index.htm

There must be more available on him out there someplace.

Maybe Andwwils is right and he never applied for the Awards ..or something was overlooked ?

I should change my name on here, kind of awkward with that call-sign of mine. Yes, most of these provincial types might not have even known they were eligible for awards. The Spanish-War Medal didn't come out until the 1920's (?). From the photos it looks like he might have been around then, but then again it's hard to tell when the pictures were taken. I've come across a lot of civil war document lots like this and this is the first one I've seen for a war of 1898 veteran-especially from such a distinguished unit.

But as far as medals go, I have a complete set of documents for a civil war veteran who lived until the late 1940's and he never applied for his decoration...although he received a pension check from Washington up until his death. Do you have the birth and death dates of this individual?

-Andrew

Edited by Andwwils

Born in Henderson Kentucky And check out the way they list his Birthday ..based on his enlistment date 1899 :rolleyes:

Somehow he ended up in Indian Territory ...interesting fellow

Edited by Mike

I've come across a lot of civil war document lots like this and this is the first one I've seen for a war of 1898 veteran-especially from such a distinguished unit.

-Andrew

You know what I like is , he's actually from 2 well known units ..I know the 33d is not as famous as Teddy's Rough Riders but, they have quite a History themselves.

I wonder how many 1st Cav Vets soined the 33d

Born in Henderson Kentucky And check out the way they list his Birthday ..based on his enlistment date 1899 :rolleyes:

Somehow he ended up in Indian Territory ...interesting fellow

The federal archives might have his service-record on file. That is odd, 34 8/12 years of age. I believe the VA has records from the spanish-american war on file. Perhaps not army since they had a fire back in 1973(?). How do you store stuff like this in your collection? I keep all my US documents, etc in shoeboxes-which I know isn't the ideal environment.

Edited by Andwwils

Thanks Paul ..and nice seeing you here !

I know most collectors avoid the paperwork unless they come with the awards ..but the paperwork tells so much more than just an unknown Medal sitting in a Ryker. Someone told me I should list his SpanAm Medal # on the Omsa site in case one of the members has it....it would be nice to add to the group.

Another Collector sent me a list of his Battles ..here's what he figured out --

Battles- San Jacinto Nov. 11, 99 , Tirad Pass Dec. 2 , 99

Engagements - Magellan bridge Nov. 10 1899 with Igorrot tribe near Banaue - Jan 13, 1904

Expeditions - Gen'l Wheat... to Lingayen Gulf Nov. 5 to 21, 1899

Operations - Gen'l Young's Brigade NW Luzon Nov. 27 , 99 to Jan. 9, 1900 Lefanto - ( not sure) and Bontoc Nov. 30, 99 to Jan 3, ....

• 5 years later...