News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Hungarian Order of Merit

Anatoly,

I did not make a mstake. The award on a ribbon is still the 5th class no matter whether you were awarded it with the 4th class or not. You pointed me to the last line of #532 and I quoted it. That line says that the fifth class order was worn as the medal when the 4th class award was given. Because it was the fifth class and was awarded for wear with the fourth class does not change what it was. I guess we will just have to continue to disagree with the terminology.

Regards,

Gordon

• Replies 108
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An absoulutely stunning set - and to a foreigner! Congratualtions! For clarification - though most have said it already - all of the classes except the Vth class came with a order on a ribbon with a device on the ribbon to denote the class. I'm away from my computer so I dont have any photos 'on' me - but anyone out there got some photos of these in wear that they could post?

Guest Rick Research

"Is this limit for new members only and will be increase later?"

Yes. So keep posting :love: scans like these! :cheers:

Actually, the ones you are posting are great just the way they are. For example-- the scan of BOTH stars above is perfect to be able to see them side by side.

Anatoly,

I agree with Rick that your scans show up very well on the forum. Especially the two different sizes of the 2nd class award side by side. That is very interesting and something that I do not find mentioned in my reference books. I would appreciate it if you would post the sizes of each award. Do you have any information on why there are two different sizes of this award?

Regards,

Gordon

Anatoly,

Nice third class. Zsolt has some nice awards in his store. Also a nice guy to do buiness with.

Before I post pictures, or talk to Sallay Gergely at the Military museum about the two different sized 2nd class awards, I would like to know what size they are. The one listed in my reference books says it should be 60mm. What size is the other one?

Regards,

Gordon

Anatoly,

Thanks for the measurements. Be nice if we had another 2nd class to measure for comparison purposes. I'd like you to do one more measurement for me. Would you please measure the silver third class award. There is no size measurements given in either the Large Medals Book or the Blue Bible. It just says that the award is similar to the 2nd class except that it is gilded in silver rather than gold. That may indicate the 2nd and 3rd class awards are the same size. Be nice to have some confirmation of this though.

Regards,

Gordon

Gents,

Thanks to Anatoly's excellent pictures I've been able to do a good comparison of the two different sized 2nd class awards and the 3rd class award. The back of the smaller 2nd class award and the back of the 3rd class award are virtually identical except for what appears to be slight differences in the "1949" date and the pin. Even then, the pins are very close to the same shape. Much more so than the larger 2nd class award. The apparent difference in the date could be because of the scan as they are very close in the shape of each numeral. The back of the larger 2nd class award is different than the other two. Most notably in the "1949" date which uses quite different numerals. More information for us to think about!

Regards,

Gordon

Anatoly,

Thanks for the last measurement. I feel more confident know about approaching people who might be able to help solve the riddle. The date on the larger of the two 2nd class awards is the one that differs from all of the other pictures you have posted. I'll let you know if we get any response from anyone.

Regards,

Gordon