News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rick's Revolution: Treason, Trauma & Truculence

Bear

Guest Rick Research

Private Deliverance Painter was a grandson, I think, so Deliverance III. Sounds like a movie squeal uh sequel.

I've got the name of the other hostage (for that's what they were at this stage of things, NOT "prisoners of war") drowned with Deliverance Senior... someplace. I wasn't aware that there had been OTHER captives-- only the boat that he turned over. :cheers:

Allings, Clarks, Mallorys, Merrimans, Pardees, Smiths, and Trowbridges all blood kin, underlined being particularly close ancestral families. Trowbridges are whence my claims to being

Supreme Planetary Overlord of the West

derive. :catjava:

Wish I was collecting rent on ancestral properties from first settlement of New Haven:

Guest Rick Research

Nay. So MANY groups I could belong to and so little time for convention schmoozing. I have my hands full as the branch Gruppenf?hrer for the Spawn of Etton Yorkshire Sinister Global Domination Genetic Conspiracy??? as it is. And am still apparently the World Record Holder for Magna Charta Sureties (12 of the 25, last count AND Bad King John)... but that's another long and terrifyingly complicated story. Even I get lost in the roots beyond 3 centuries out. All I can say is-- I'm well positioned for a Merovingian Restoration. :speechless1::rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Noooooooooo, I don't think so.

Joshua Phinney died in Plainville in 1821 pre-pensions, and his wife Lucy Hamlin was 1759-1834. That MIGHT be him from the rolls, since the family came from and had lived for several generations in Lebanon, but that was halfway across the state from where he was living at the time. It may be a cousin, or one of the wretched Lebanon PInneys who clog and confusify everybody outside our own families. Indeed, I suspect it was to UNtangle them that my lot had gone from "Finney" to "Phinney" by mid-18th century--which hardly helped since nobody else used the PH spelling.

That can't be my Caleb Hitchcock-- mine died in Southington in 1826 at age 66, his wife Adah Mallory having died in 1808.

My John Hamlin, who was certainly a militia Lieutenant during the war but as far as we know entirely on "home guard," died in 1821 10 days after his 85th birthday. His wife Eleanor Orvis had predeceased him in 1791 so there was nobody around to collect! :(

:beer:

Same thing happened with my Connecticut Civil War ancestor, great-great-grandfather Thomas Farrell (often spelted "Farrol" in local records, God knows why). I have NO birth date/place for him, and his wife died before him, leaving the children to be raised by neighbors. No clue when he died, either. (Very close, that side of the family.) There were about 14 Thomas Farrells in the Union army from CT and I have absolutely zero way to sort any of them out, missing the most basic vital statistics data. When any of 'em WERE home for Census takers, they (or the census takers) couldn't even get year-ages consistently. :banger:

Hello Rick,

I was hoping for John Hamlin the privateer. They have some interesting stuff on him. I double checked and couldn't find anything that I missed. I think thats it unless you have anymore names. :jumping: I did find an America & Africa Hamlin that served out of Massachusetts. Dig those early names :cheers:

thanks,

barry

Nice . . . I wish I knew. The Haynes genealogy evaporates in central/eastern Ohio in the 1830s :banger: -- in the others I can trace back to several in the War of the American Rebellion (though someone else beat me to the single Cincinnati membership qualification :banger: ). The frustrations of genealogy, I can make the immigrant ancestor link in all lines BUT Haynes.

Almost every line has folks in the more recent War of the Southern Rebellion. But that is so recent, it is mere journalism. I only have medals from one of them: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3975&st=1

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: Barry.

I know what you mean, Ed. I have HUGE gaps in my trees where "branches" remain unknown because the wives' maiden names never appeared in things. :banger: I have the advantage, however, of being descended from many lines of Stuck-in-the-Muds who have never tottered 100 miles from where their ancestors first came ashore in the 1600s. Helps tracking "targets" that never MOVED.

Oh, sure, there are the "issues" about webbed toes and vestigal tails, but actually I've never come closer on in-breeding than 4th cousins (many many many times) which is inevitable in a small gene pool.

But it sure is easier these days with online skills than having to travel in person to every town and courthouse in the country, looking.

In my main family group, DNA testing has now established conclusively that FOUR of our branches share common descent, despite three different spellings and no mention of common antecedents in the records (the Curse of Salem :banger: ). One of our members spent literally 50 years of his life travelling back and forth to England and the Channel Islands searching every single parish register--to no avail since we still have no proven Point Of Origin--and we've united four "different" families with cotton swabs, budaboom budabing. :rolleyes:

So DNA is a good route to go, especially with a state like Ohio that drew in folk from everywhere. We've had the exact same results with three "different" Southern branches scattered from Kentucky through the Carolinas to Virginia. Their paper trail ends at the Revolution, but DNA has shown that they ALL should be looking for the SAME information together.

Somewhere, somebody has probably got a Haynes group started.