News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish Ribbon Bars!

Hi all !

Just want to tell about a new "mini" project!

I am going to try to find the man behind my long "navy" ribbonbar with Libertycross 2nd , 3rd and 4th class + German eagle order and Ehrenkreuz.

As he was a member of Preuss 27th J?gerbattalion I got about 2000 possibilities :speechless:

Hmmm, BUT there was only about 1200 of theese fighting in the war 1918!

So from 2000 to 1200 , and 120 was killed in action so down to about 1100 left.

Now from research I found out that about 800 former J?gers become Officers in Finland after 1918!! So now down to 800 possible

Still to many, but in a book from 1943 concerning the J?ger Batl it is said that about 300 become Majors or higher rank. And 39 become Generals.

Much better with 300 than 2000. Now I have to start looking for Finnish officers who has been i 27TH J?ger Btl and in war 1918 AND in Battle of Tammerfors 1918 AND recived German Eagle order but no EK 1918,1939..... wish me luck :cheers:

If anyone have any information about Finnish former J?ger officers I am happy to know everything you got

Christer

Guest Rick Research

Don't exclude anyone with Iron Crosses--

it is possible, isn't it, that a holder of a 1914 Iron Cross might have worn it with a 1939 Spange "German style" from his tunic front-- especially if serving with German troops? I think I've seen photos of Marshal Mannerheim wearing an Iron Cross and Spange that way during the Continuation War.

:jumping:

Thanks Rick !

You are right, that would be a possibility!

I have start to search the Finnish Generals during WW2 and they were "only" about 60 or so

(I have to start with something) trying to find out wich were in J?g Battl 27.

20 of the former J?gers were Mannerheim Cross Winners !!

It going to be a long dark autumn, with only me and old papers (my wife will probably take a vacation in some sunny place when I start to look through dust old books ......)

Good night from Sweden

Christer

• 8 months later...

:cheers:

I thought I would show some new ones in my collection.

I haven?t found out who the owner was to my big ribbon bar, but instead I bought some other interesting bars during the

hunt for the name. :rolleyes:

First one is a fighter from two wars

LC 4th 1941 - LC 4th 1939 - Com medal war 39-40 - com medal war 41-44 - 11 Div Cross war 41-44

Next one is a quite strange bar given to a Swedish military?

First Swedish Order of North Star - Finnish medal for air raids protection -Finnish medal war Olympic games 1952 - Com medal for war 41-44 ?? A swedish firefighter? working in Finland 41-44, in some way working in Olympic games 1952

Another one given to a Swedish guy fighting in Finland 1939-40

Swedish medal for Civil Defence - Swedish Red Cross medal - LC 4th 1939 - Com medal 1939-40

Fourth one is a little unusual

LC 4th (swords missing) Medal for war in Kaunas 1919-20 - Air raid protection 1939-40

Hmm was in the war 1919 but not in the 1918 war, probaly police or firefighter in 39-40 and awarded with a LC 1939?

The last one is a mini bar (navy bar)

LC 3rd class w oakleaves 1941 - LC 3rd class 39 or 41? - LC 4th class 39 or 41 - Com med 39-40

Christer

1) CoL 2X (which war, I wonder?), CoL 3X (ditto), Lion of Finland-Commander, White Rose-Officer

2) CoL 4th military second award (1941), CoL 4X 9which war?), 1918 Medal, 1939 Winter War Medal X

3) CoL 4X and another one so from BEFORE 1941-- a 1939 and a 1918?, Medal of Liberty 1st, Medal of Liberty 2nd

4) CoL 4X (1939? 1941?), Medal of Liberty 1st Class, 1939 Medal (never had a device)

5) unofficial Summa Cross from the Winter War, 1939 Medal X

Hello,

Some quick approximations;

1) CoL 2X (almost certainly 1941), CoL 3X (could be 1939, but personally I would still go with 1941)

2) CoL 4X w. oakleaf (1941) is it's own class and not a second award of >>>, CoL 4X (likely 1939)

3) This is a really difficult one with many possible combinations of years....I do not dare..

4) CoL 4X ("must" be a 1941)

5) Should actually be flipped the other way around, W.W. com. - Summa com.c.

Next one is a quite strange bar given to a Swedish military?

First Swedish Order of North Star - Finnish medal for air raids protection -Finnish medal war Olympic games 1952 - Com medal for war 41-44 ?? A swedish firefighter? working in Finland 41-44, in some way working in Olympic games 1952

Reading it the other way will make it more clear : ) ...and also make it one of those half-bars : (

Con. W. com.m. - Olympic 1952 m.m. - Civil def.m. - Oinonen Group Com.c. (I think this would be your best bet for that ribbon)

Thanks Thomas !

I thought the North Star band looked somewhat strange, so it is a Oinonen Group Com Cross

What does that look like ?

Well it explain the somewhat mystery life of a "swedish soldier" :cheers:

All the best

Christer

Ribbon Bar to Colonel or GenMaj ?

Now we are talking !

Mini ribbon bar said to be used by navy personal?

Here we have a high decorated fighter fron three wars ! 1918, 1939 and 1941

1: Liberty cross 2nd class 1941? at no front service

2: Liberty cross 3rd class 1939 ( I am guessing here)

3: Liberty cross 4th class 1939

4: Order of White Rose Commander

5: Order of White Rose Knight

6: Com medal 1918

7: Com medal 1939 ws

8: Com medal Tampere 1918

9: German Ehrenkreuz 1935 (for 1918 civil war together with german troops ?)

10:German Eagle Order 1941-42?

Some high ranking officer in Finnish navy 1941-43? could possible have a 1 st class Liberty cross as well? If only theese ribbon bars could speak!

Christer

I thought that the HK was only awarded to German nationals?! Very interesting bar! You have one heck of a collection here! What are the award numbers on most of these? In the millions?

Regards

Paul

Thanks Thomas !

I thought the North Star band looked somewhat strange, so it is a Oinonen Group Com Cross

What does that look like ?

Well it explain the somewhat mystery life of a "swedish soldier" :cheers:

All the best

Christer

No prob. Here is a picture of some commemorative crosses >>> http://www.oulunnumismaatikot.fi/kuvat/mui...t_4rivi_iso.jpg ...the Oinonen cross should be somewhere in the middle.

Best regards

/Thomas

I thought that the HK was only awarded to German nationals?! Very interesting bar! You have one heck of a collection here! What are the award numbers on most of these? In the millions?

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I also thought until recently that the HK only was awarded to Germans, Austrians but no other but since then I have seen

photos and read that at least the Finnish soldiers in J?ger Batl 27 , fighting with the Germans in 1WW was awared the HK.

Concerning award numbers of Finnish Orders/medals all I can say that Finland is a rather small country and the numbers are related to that. :rolleyes::D

Christer

I think all the remarks about the Swedish Order of the North Star actually refer to the Swedish Order of the Sword.

The ribbon for the Order of the North Star was black until 1973 and after that blue with yellow edges.

/Mike

• 10 years later...
    • 1 month later...