News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Era W?rttemberg Pioner with Bavarian M.V.K. ribbon!

Hallo Gents, :beer:

because I bought a couple of pieces from a chap he gave me this postcard as a gift!!! :o I can make out what looks like on the original card with magnifying glass the word TREUE ? on the belt buckle above a crown.

The ribbon looks also to have the thin black stripes and blue bands of the Bavarian M.V.K. but I am not sure if he would have been entitled to the Cross with solid Gold medalions or not, probably the more normal III Class type in bronze / Copper.

The rear of the card with inscription in pencil:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kevin, his name is Josef St?rk and he from W?rttemberg.

Hallo Naxos :cheers:

Thanks for that info, (but I am 100% sure the ribbon is Bavarian :cheers:) and not the W?rttemberg Military Service medal in Yellow with two black stripes.

What was the motto on W?rttemberg belt buckles circa WW1?? Similar to Bayern??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Kevin, this is what I found out: A work detail of the W?rttemberg Pionier Bataillon 13 removed the bell of the Church steeple in Saulgau during WWI (sometime between Oct 1916 and April 1918)

on the back of your card it mentions the Hofskirch in Saulgau W?rttemberg

Arbeitskommandos

u. a.: Glockenausbau in Alpirsbach, Fachsenfeld, Hochdorf, Hofen, Moosheim, Pommertsweiler, Saulgau, Schomburg, Trochtelfingen, Waldsee und Wasseralfingen

Okt. 1916 - 8. Apr. 1918

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

I am using my digital camera I will try for a better picture.

But is it reasonable to think a W?rttemberger could get a Bavarian MVK III Class in WW1??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

I think it says: "Profisor. b. kl. Pionier Komp. 1"

Josef might have spelled the the abbreviation for "provisorisch" wrong (f instead of v)

..which would mean that he was provisorisch = provisional

"serving for the time with the W?rttemberg Pionier Kompanie"

Hardy

Guys,

If there is a crown on the buckle, it is not from W?rttemberg. The W?rttemberg buckle has the Landeswappen in the center, not a crown.

Chip

which would mean that he was provisorisch = provisional

"serving at the time with a W?rttemberg Pionier Kompanie"

Hardy

Hallo Naxos :cheers:

Thanks for that info, (but I am 100% sure the ribbon is Bavarian :cheers:) and not the W?rttemberg Military Service medal in Yellow with two black stripes.

What was the motto on W?rttemberg belt buckles circa WW1?? Similar to Bayern??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Fruchtlos und Trew

So, I assume they were taking these bells for the metals to be used in the war effort?

Chip

Yes Chip, in my home town the bell from the 17th century that survived the War of the Spanish Succession was melted down in 1917.

Hardy