News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hallo Gents, :cheers:

upon my recent return visit to Kempten in the Allg?u region, I revisited a place I stumbled across near to the house where I was living,

I lived for 4 years on the outskirts of Kempten, on Adelharzer Weg, while wandering in the woods to the rear of the house I discovered this commemorative memorial stone.

The inscription reads:

"GEDENKSTEIN FUR DEM IM WELTKREIGE GEFALLENEN HELDEN MAX HERGENRODER

FORSTASSISTENT IN KEMPTEN + 26.SEPT.1914.WYTSCHAEDE."

Kevin in Deva :beer:

My buddy Alec, brought me around some of the small Kempten back streets, in Haubenschloss, to show me a plaque he had spotted upon the wall of a house near Haubenschloss. Apparantly post WW1, the street used to be called Wytschaetestrasse!!

"Wytschaetestrasse 2,

In der Allerheiligennacht 1914 st?rmen die Allg?uer Kriegsfreiwilligen dreimal Wytschaete in Flandern."

Does anybody have any information of the particular Bavarian Units that took part in the campaign in far off Flanders?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Another military related plaque on the wall of a building that is now the Alpine Museum,

near the Residensehoff, in Kempten, which was formely the Calvary quarters,

with stables for the horses beneath.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

6th Bavarian Reserve-Division would be a good guess, only: they were not in Flanders in September 1914. The division arrived there by the end of October.

I've only some few copies of the "Allg?uer Kriegschronik", a weekly periodical published in Kempten. It has about three to five pages per week filled with "our heros" (the KIAs), approx. 10 per page. Unfortunately, that Max Hergenr?der is not among those I have.

It would, however, seem that men from the Kempten region did not only serve in Bavarian regiments (3., 20., 12., Res 12., 3. Ldw, 16. Res, 18. Res, etc.) but also in W?rttemberg units, e.g.: 120, 124, 127, Res 120.

I've looked into the books: There were no German (including Bavarian) troops near Wyschaete by the end of September 1914. Thus, if the inscription is to be correct, the man should have been a POW, dying in an Entente hospital or camp.

Bavarian troops were in vicinity Wyschaete by the end of October 1914, II. b.AK and the 6. b.RD, the latter storming Wyschaete on 1st/2nd November several times.

I've looked into the books: There were no German (including Bavarian) troops near Wyschaete by the end of September 1914. Thus, if the inscription is to be correct, the man should have been a POW, dying in an Entente hospital or camp.

Bavarian troops were in vicinity Wyschaete by the end of October 1914, II. b.AK and the 6. b.RD, the latter storming Wyschaete on 1st/2nd November several times.

Hallo rast :cheers:

On the plaque with the name Wyschaetestrasse 2, does Allerheiligennacht 1914 reffer to the day of what we call "All Souls Night" (Commemoration for the Dead) ???

Please excuse my ignorance of traditional religious holy days in Germany.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers: