News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 327
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My newest addition:

Rudolf Probst was born in 1889, fulfilled his military service with an artillery unit from 1907 to 1910 and served in WWI from 1914 to 1918. His last rank was Feuerwerker (ordnance nco). His only other award was the Militär-Jubiläumskreuz in 1908.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C3%A4r-Jubil%C3%A4umskreuz

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/JK1908.htm

Edited by turtle

Hallo Lambert,

Probst's Urkunde is a nice one, especially with a 1940 date. The latest date I have is 17 Jul 1940.

I have noticed that for many of 'your men' you have given a small biography or personal history. Have these certificates come to you with this information or have you researched each man? If so, how are you researching — Ancestry, or ?

Just curious because I would like to do this also. It always adds so much more to an object.

Cheers,

Gar

Hallo Lambert,

Probst's Urkunde is a nice one, especially with a 1940 date. The latest date I have is 17 Jul 1940.

I have noticed that for many of 'your men' you have given a small biography or personal history. Have these certificates come to you with this information or have you researched each man? If so, how are you researching — Ancestry, or ?

Just curious because I would like to do this also. It always adds so much more to an object.

Cheers,

Gar

Hello!

Most of the documents came with other accompanying documents like their Militärpaß or Wehrpaß, so I was able to compile those information given above.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Something to revive this topic:

These two documents belonged to a Karl Wolf born 27.11.1900. He served in the army from the 11.09.1918 till 21.11.1918 with the replacement unit of Inf. Rgt. 170. In 1934 he applied for his Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer (Cross of Honor for Non-Combatants).

Unfortunately I don´t have his award document

Edited by turtle

Hi Chris, yes they do exsist, I believe any such with a blank rear were all made post W.W.2

for German W.W.1 veterans who needed replacement crosses for worn out or lost pieces.

Kevin in Deva.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Chris, yes they do exsist, I believe any such with a blank rear were all made post W.W.2

for German W.W.1 veterans who needed replacement crosses for worn out or lost pieces.

Kevin in Deva.

HI,

what is the post WW2 theory based on?

I have a small group with a blank back, but it seems to have been together since the early 30s, unmounted full length ribbons etc.

Best

Chris

Hi Chris,

if my memory serves me corectly, a long time back, I seem to remember a comment in

R.L.'s book " A Collectors Guide to Third Reich Militaria."

saying that the Ehrenkreuz had not been faked but was still in production / official manufactured

for veterans who needed replacements,

Have you also checked on "BayoSwedes" Website with regards them?

Kevin in Deva.

Nice document Turtle !

My earliest is from 27th October 1934 , You have the earliest I seen so far :love:

Christer

Thanks! I wonder when the earliest regular awards took place?! I´ve read in an old newspaper, that the application forms where only available in late september / early october, so somewhere in september 1934 I think.

I read somewhere that Hermann Göring was awarded hes cross 1st Sept 1934 and Adolf Hitler 4th sept , but I don¨t think they

had to apply... :cheeky:

So I think an early October award is very early for a normal application.

And here is a link to the best Hinderburg Cross site on the net ( only in Deutsch)

http://www.weltkriegs-ehrenkreuz.de

Christer

Edited by christerd

Yeah, I know this site, it´s great! A little correction to my statement above: The application forms were available in August and the first shipment of citations and awards were announced for Sept. / Oct.

I also think, that a late September / early October date would be the earliest to expect, at least for the rank an file.

• 9 months later...

Something I´ve totally forgotten to show : An Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer for Lorenz Kordus, he was a Fahrstuhlführer (lift operator) and a Kriegerinnerungsmedaille Bulgarien for the same man.

Maybe he worked a one of the bigger hotels in Berlin!?

Edited by turtle

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    On 2/19/2008 at 17:34, christerd said:

Unusual Award-paper for Honor Cross :speechless1::speechless1:

What is so strange about this paper? Well its issued by the German Consulate in Apenrade ,Hmm to a Karl Hellweg in Sonderburg

and he is to get an Honor cross for fighters , and hes military duty is shown in his "milit?rpass" so whats unusual about that?

:rolleyes: Sonderburg ! That?s in Denmark !! But in 1914-1918 Sonderburg belonged to Germany (Schleswig-Holstein) but after a

public vote in 1920 it was decided that it would belong to Denmark.

So this guy lived in Gemany 1918 and in Denmark 1935 but still got the Honorcross.

Interesting, its the only paper to a Danish ( well, ex german) I seen

Christer

Lets try this then... ;-)a36rfar.thumb.jpg.cf42e57a53440ac982a474ehrenk.thumb.jpg.2a5e99086a23093a0731bbcwound.thumb.jpg.cba699b459528f389e5e60bd

Hello Chris,

Thanks for posting this information.  The Ehrenkreuz has always fascinated me.

I have Ehrekreuz certificates for Toronto, Canada, New York City, USA and Madrid, Spain and I would sure like to add this one to my collection!  Hint, hint!

Others are known for England, Norway, Sweden, Bern, Switzerland and Columbia, South America and I'm sure there must be other locations as well.

Cheers, Gary

On 1/3/2013 at 23:26, Schwyz said:

Here is a photo of my large Cross. About 197 mm x 197 mm (7 3/4" x 7 3/4") and 2 KG.

I have it framed to hang on the wall.

I believe these were used on large memorials to the war.

Gar

DSC_0792_zps2dd6533c.jpg

What a nice item!  Did not know they existed!

Cheers

7 hours ago, turtle said:

@Chris Boonzaier

Very nice document grouping, I really like these Ehrenkreuz documents from abroad! Do you know more about Mr. Jessen?

Hi, nope, thats all I have :-)

14 hours ago, Schwyz said:

Hello Chris,

Thanks for posting this information.  The Ehrenkreuz has always fascinated me.

I have Ehrekreuz certificates for Toronto, Canada, New York City, USA and Madrid, Spain and I would sure like to add this one to my collection!  Hint, hint!

Others are known for England, Norway, Sweden, Bern, Switzerland and Columbia, South America and I'm sure there must be other locations as well.

Cheers, Gary

Hi,

I have one from the embassy in London to a German working there as a waiter.