News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

u-boat Leinenpistole - Line throwing gun

Hello,

also a new addition to my u-boat collection, a very rare line throwing gun, in german called "Leinenpistole, System Sander". Complete with the also rare linen cover (inside stamped the year "1940") and an steel mount.

This rocket pistol was used on german ships or u-boats for firing ropes with a rocket to another ship or boat. On the rocket was a steel mount and on this mont was a rope attached. This gun comes from the german u-boat bunker "ELBE II"! Look at the card with "ELBE II, "Leinenpistole" (handwriten) and "Ausgabe an U-...." (given to u-boat nr...).

Regards,

Monsun

and here is an original photo from such a rope pistol, taken on board of U 178 (my favorite u-boat :D ) in the year 1943. Bootsmannsmaat Max Dittrich (DKiG) firing an rope to an italian u-boat.

Hello,

thank you for the friendly comments, the pistol is really in an great unused condition.

Hi Joe,

I will try to explain the function of this gun with my little english.

It was a single shot pistol. At first you must put a 8 mm blank cartridge from the rear in the chamber.

Then you can put the 22 mm (diameter) rocket from the front in the barrel and screw the steel mount with the

steel sling/rope in the rocket. After that you can fire the line throwing gun.

Here are a page from the very good "Leuchtpistolen" book from Mr. Wolfgang Kern. You can see both cartridges for the gun, the small 8 mm blank cartridge and the large 22 mm rocket. The small 8mm blank cartridge is only the primer for the large rocket.

Regards,

Monsun

• 5 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 7 months later...

Gebirgsjaegers had piles of these after WW2. Not much fun and very much a useless piece of ###### so discarded asap. At least in the northern part of norway. Fired it once just for fun but this is not an item for mountain troops. I fully understand why it is not in existence anymore

kind regards Enigma

• 8 years later...
    • 2 years later...