News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Graf Spee's captain honoured

I heard a short piece on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) News on Friday: the Ontario town of Ajax, a large munitions manufacturer in WWII and named after H.M.S. Ajax, is re-naming one of it's streets in honour of Hans Langsdorf, captain of the German ship Graf Spee.

The ceremony was to be October 6 and the captain's daughter was to be present. A British member of the Royal Canadian legion, interviewed about it, said he opposed the idea and would not attend the reception to be held at the Legion after the naming. The mayor of Ajax said that the captian had always been careful to ensure the safety of Merchant Navy crews of the ships his cruiser attacked.

No other info. was given on the radio and my morning paper is inexplicably missing, but I thought this might be of interest to the members.

Peter Monahan

Further details:

Canadian town honours Captain Langsdorff.

Many streets in the prosperous Town of Ajax, Ontario bear the names of British and New Zealand veterans who survived the 1939 Battle of the River Plate. In October 1999 a large contingent of these veterans enjoyed the hospitality of the town in a 60th year commemoration of the battle. About that time, both allied veterans' associations unanimously approved a proposal to add Captain Langsdorff's name to a list of future streets. Langsdorff Drive is now a reality, completely built and neatly landscaped.

Saturday 6th October 2007, Captain Langsdorff's daughter will personally attend a small ceremony to dedicate the street in honour of her father. This unique historic and cultural event reflects the enormous respect that the allied veterans found for Captain Langsdorff. The commander of the pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee deserves such recognition. His high level of humanity and integrity is legendary.

The strange news is here twice, Paul. Once (here) in the British forums and also over in the Nazi forums.

Thanks Ed. I thought that I was losing my mind, for a brief second.

Peter,

Thank you for posting this interesting story. It goes to show that there are truly good people to be found everywhere.

• 4 months later...