News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Empire or Republic

ccj

How can one tell the difference between an Empire Field tunic and a Republic Field tunic? They look the same to me. The only difference I see is on Artillery tunics the button on the strap is different.

Guest Rick Research

Republic WHEN?

Until the 1930s when they returned to "traditional" insignia, the 1st Republic's Bundesheer used huge grotesque "Hollywood" style "German" collar tabs and German-style insignia:

Well, I have read somewhere that the Austrians returned to the WW1 era uniforms at some point in the 20-30s. I'm not sure if the color was pike gray or field gray or both. Is the uniform cut the same at the ww1 uniforms or different? I haven't found any research material to help in this area.

• 8 years later...

¿Why grotesque ? ,the litzen of course , The colour was field grey, and the uniform a hybrid of austrian and german .the service cap was german type the field cap austrian type , the colours of arm of service , the same as in Germany ,the cavalry retained the pelzulanka and all the helmet .In 1933 the austrian republic returned to the austrian traditions . the basic colour was field grey austrian  FG . ,the cut returned to ww1 type the kepi was reintroduced the old badges of rank too, inclusive coloured uniforms were presed in service again for certain traditionsregimente . The arm of service colour was simplified but basically returns to austrian origins . 

• 1 month later...

Knotel in his Uniformenkunde explains very well the question . the austrian field grey was different in 1933 than the precedent used in the german type uniforms . the officers service tunics were cloned with the war time models . only the better quality cloth and the invariable high collar make the difference and sometimes the absence of tailors marks .