News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Blaker

Greetings,

I recently acquired a sword hoping it was in my collecting field (Imperial German swords). A few hours later I found out I had a Sabre for Mounted Gendarmerie Officers, Model 1860. Very good condition, plain blade, no scabbard.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to its rarity etc. I am considering having a scabbbard made for it before I try to sell. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon

Hello Gordon,

Welcome.

It has been a few years since I collected edged weapons but if you are not going to keep the sabre I wouldn't bother getting a scabbard made for it. I don't believe it will enhance the value and considering it will not be original to the piece may even distract a potential buyer's interest from the sword itself. Remember that scabbards had furniture such as the drag at the tip and suspension hardware that will not be on a newly-made scabbard.

Any chance of a photo?

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Blaker -

First of all - Welcome to the GMIC! Gendarmerie swords are fairly rare and collectable in their own right - like everythign else - if you are going to sell it - you need buyer. Would it be possible to get photographs of the sabre and post them here? Would love to see it!

Best

Hunyadi

Hi Brian,

Thanks, my thought of having a scabbard comes from it being probably the simplest scabbard I have seen. Just black leather, a drag and top mount with band and ring. But it would just be simpler to sell as is.

I have photos but won't be able to post them until this weekend.

Best,

Gordon

Greetings,

I recently acquired a sword hoping it was in my collecting field (Imperial German swords). A few hours later I found out I had a Sabre for Mounted Gendarmerie Officers, Model 1860. Very good condition, plain blade, no scabbard.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to its rarity etc. I am considering having a scabbbard made for it before I try to sell. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon

Greetings,

Thanks, I thought it was about time I posted my first bit. I have photos but will not be able to add them until this weekend.

Best,

Gordon

Blaker -

First of all - Welcome to the GMIC! Gendarmerie swords are fairly rare and collectable in their own right - like everythign else - if you are going to sell it - you need buyer. Would it be possible to get photographs of the sabre and post them here? Would love to see it!

Best

Hunyadi

Greetings,

Well, my attempt at uploading the photos onto the site failed. I have them on a CD and can e-mail them to you if you would like. There are about six of them.

Best,

Gordon

Hello Gordon,

Welcome.

It has been a few years since I collected edged weapons but if you are not going to keep the sabre I wouldn't bother getting a scabbard made for it. I don't believe it will enhance the value and considering it will not be original to the piece may even distract a potential buyer's interest from the sword itself. Remember that scabbards had furniture such as the drag at the tip and suspension hardware that will not be on a newly-made scabbard.

Any chance of a photo?

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hi Brian,

My photo uploading attempt was a failure. I can e-mailed them to you if you would like. There are about six of them.

Best,

Gordon

Greetings,

Thanks,

Gordon

Hi Brian,

Got your message, thanks. I will hopefully send them to you tomorrow morning. My e-mail is sabelb16133@yahoo.com and the subject line with be something clever like sword. The only marking on the sword is the Jerusalem cross on one side of the ricasso.

I have not cleaned it up any so you will see Brasso residue in various places including on the rayskin.

Gordon