News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prinz Alfons Erinnerungsabzeichen

This decoration takes the form of a metal cypher with the Bavarian crown and a wreath, overlaid on a blue and white ribbon, to be worn as a Schnalle, or bar. The award document dates to 1929. I'm assuming this would have been given out on the discretion of the prince to various lackeys, but that's my speculation.

Yup-do a quick search-there's a thread on these. I think RR posted an award to a hotel keeper. Purportedly they were often given as "shooting club awards", especially to members of the Prinz Alfons Shooting Club, which I think is still in existence today.

Often also given to Bavarian vets with monarchist political convictions.

Edited by Ulsterman

Hallo Gents :beer:

I think its best to measure this item, so as to gather information on

possible variations. The measurements on mine are:

Silver Wreath;

Height: 42mm

Wide: 45mm

Ribbon width: 33mm.

Maker Mark: "M.HEINLOTH" interestingly enough the upper part of the letter "E"

is not complete, and the lower right leg of the "H" is incomplete!!!

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Gents :beer:

I think its best to measure this item, so as to gather information on

possible variations. The measurements on mine are:

Silver Wreath;

Height: 42mm

Wide: 45mm

Ribbon width: 33mm.

Hello Gents,

Mine "Prinz Alfons" has the same mesurements.

student

• 2 years later...
    • 2 years later...

I have seen these both in "silver" and "gold" with 5 different ribbon colours. All that have a maker mark have M.Heinloth, though have also seen others marked just DRGM, which i believe was the German equivalent of patent pending. There still seems to be doubt as to whether they were shooting badges, or the just the Prince's own personal "vanity" award given to whoever he chose for any reason,

Hi,

"... with no particular award criterion"

"There still seems to be doubt as to whether they were shooting badges, or the just the Prince's own personal "vanity" award given to whoever he chose for any reason"

The correct name is Prinz-Alfons-Erinnerungszeichen (not ...Erinnerungsabzeichen)

There are no real doubts. They were given for shooting merits, for expertly hunting, fostering and care and for "patriotic merits".

The document was free, but one had to pay the badge.

Uwe

• 1 month later...