News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice one in an original case Chris.

I know this comment was over seven years ago...

Case of issue was black. Not red.

​...but more recent findings have confirmed for me (and others) that red is perfectly, 100% acceptable, as is green. In fact red may have been the more common case color after a certain point.

Further, I have never seen a black one -- so I'm not sure where that idea came from.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly there were other types, or versions, I can't say for sure, but I am inclined to doubt it.

​Hi Wild Card,

Mine came in a similar case, but it is now widely accepted that red cases were also used.

Chris' example is just one (of very, very many according to ASI) that has come directly from family estates in a red case.

​Hi Wild Card,

Mine came in a similar case, but it is now widely accepted that red cases were also used.

Chris' example is just one (of very, very many according to ASI) that has come directly from family estates in a red case.

​Hi Streptile,

That's good enough for me.

Incidentally, did you know that the style of case that I posted came in larger sizes for other awards?

Good to hear from you,

Wild Card

I have the same colored  case for the GMVK that Wild Card shows.

​The RAO and GMVK cases from the GOK are the same size, and both medals fit comfortably in the same boxes. There were thousands of RAO's awarded during the Imperial era, and not all that many GMVK's during the war years. Pre- and early war,, there may have been a color distinction to know by sight, what was inside. I strongly suspect the cases made late in the war might have been interchangeable for BOTH awards. Cheaply made wartime cases that fell apart after the war may have been replaced with another case that fit, regardless of the color it was originally in. Many people take the view that if something works, then use it.

Edited by Les

​Hi Streptile,

That's good enough for me.

Incidentally, did you know that the style of case that I posted came in larger sizes for other awards?

Good to hear from you,

Wild Card

​Hi W. Card,

Thanks, nice to see you here too.

I didn't know that that exact same case came larger for other awards, but I do know that very similar cases were used for e.g. the PLM. Is that what you mean? Can you show an example of a larger case?

Incidentally, here is another of the same type of case that Chris shows, also below (© emedals).

I'm not 100% sure it is the same proportions as a RAO case, but I guess measurements would be necessary to answer that question.

A_Cased_Golden_M_54417617ba45e.jpg

I strongly suspect the cases made late in the war might have been interchangeable for BOTH awards. Cheaply made wartime cases that fell apart after the war may have been replaced with another case that fit, regardless of the color it was originally in. Many people take the view that if something works, then use it.

​I think that is probably where the truth lies..... I think they are very late and could probably be found with both. Maybe the GMVK a little bit more as it is possible that RAO was pretty much down at this late date?

Unfortunately not directly from the family but believably close to being from non collector hands.... I think it is an obvious late war case with a very steep decline in quality.....

box2.jpg

box1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

That picture shown in the eMedals.com post was from my collection originally..... it did not come with a cross.

My experience is that the MEZ1 came in the red case and the PLM enlisted came in the black case.

mez1.jpg

mez2.jpg

mez5.jpg

mez6.jpg

mez7.jpg

I do agree that there are green cases out there for the PLM enlisted. But I don;'t think they were issued in the red cases. the reddish-maroon cases were used for the MEZ1, they also came in black cases

• 2 months later...

Here is my issue cross. I also have a bronze-gilt cross for the medal bar or possibly everyday wear.

I've always wanted one and have highest regard for enlisted soldiers as they are often overlooked when it's time to recognize bravery. Many a man has been overlooked throughout history...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg