News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LEGION OF MERIT - Chief Commander Grade

Guest Darrell

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Well ... I had to get a version (same manufacturer Ira Green) that had the rivets on the reverse. Shoddy soldering job prior to the gilt wash applied :speechless1:

Obverse:

Hi Darrell,

That's for sure a very nice medal, the one you posted in post #1 !! Congratulations!! ... and BTW, I also understand now the reason of your avatar :beer: .

As you know: this medal, in its design, has been influenced by the french L?gion d'Honneur. I know you also like them... :P

Just a quick question : Is your Chief Commander Legion of Merit a new one (mint), or has it been awared ?

Again, congrats!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Guest Darrell

Thanks Darrell.

Did you buy them to a dealer or a collector ? Or are they for sale at the "official" US mint ?

Ch.

I got mine from Collectors / Dealers .. don't really know what you classify them as :rolleyes:

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

Please don't see anything wrong or bad in my remark :unsure: .

I just mentioned this because here, in France, it is possible to buy orders and medals from the mint, even without having been awarded them...

Cheers.

Ch.

None taken. Many buy their medals directly from the manufacturers. The collector usually has to reliy on the dealers to obtain them.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Well ... if you don't have enough ... get another :rolleyes:

This is probably the true "keeper" of the works. This one probably dates from the 70's as it has the earlier style catch / pin and hinge. The enamel on the front looks superior to the other two as well. You can see the difference in hand. The Red enamel on this one is much darker than the other two as well. The Gold coloring is a much richer deep golden color as well.

Plus this one weighs in at an impressive 96.7 grams. 4 grams more than the other two.

1. Scanned Obverse and Reverse:

Edited by Darrell