News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I've been offered this cased "Godet" Iron Half Moon and was wondering what you experienced collecters of this award think of it? The award looks good to me, but I'm not so sure on the case. Also what, do you feel is a reasonable price to pay for this cased award? I only have a short time to reply to accepting this piece and would value your thoughts.

Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike a beautiful example, any pictures of the reverse? I have an example by Godet but enamel damaged unfortunately, If the price is reasonable I would buy it, it looks in mint condition

regards

Alex K

Edit, sorry for some strange reason didn't spot the photo of the reverse :speechless::banger: , it's identical to mine

Edited by Alex K

Hi Mike a beautiful example, any pictures of the reverse? I have an example by Godet but enamel damaged unfortunately, If the price is reasonable I would buy it, it looks in mint condition

regards

Alex K

Edit, sorry for some strange reason didn't spot the photo of the reverse :speechless::banger: , it's identical to mine

Thanks Alex, My posts are a little slow in being posted. The price asked for is 500 Euros

Hi Mike, bit difficult for me to give a precise answer as to the price, I bought mine, to be fair with enamel damaged for ?22 in 1983. 500 Euro seems a bit steep to me, but I could be wrong, perhaps others could point you in the right direction, still a very nice and desirable piece in my opinion

regards

Alex

Exactly Alex, hence my question about the case?

My case as you can see has a specific indentation where the star fits quite snugly, the case you show doesn't. its obviously a Godet case but may have been for a different content.

regards

Hi Mike, bit difficult for me to give a precise answer as to the price, I bought mine, to be fair with enamel damaged for ?22 in 1983. 500 Euro seems a bit steep to me, but I could be wrong, perhaps others could point you in the right direction, still a very nice and desirable piece in my opinion

regards

Alex

Bloody hell Alex 24 years ago I think we could have all bought some fantastic awards for that price. Unfortunately, I was not collecting then ( I wish I had been )

Steep maybe, but if right, then worth the outlay.

Pic of the top of the case.

Edited by Mike Huxley

My case as you can see has a specific indentation where the star fits quite snugly, the case you show doesn't. its obviously a Godet case but may have been for a different content.

regards

Have a closer look Alex ... There is an indentation mark for the award and a slot for the clasp that just shows under the award. Unfortunatly, I'm only able to supply the pics provided by the seller.

Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

Bloody hell Alex 24 years ago I think we could have all bought some fantastic awards for that price. Unfortunately, I was not collecting then ( I wish I had been )

Steep maybe, but if right, then worth the outlay.

Pic of the top of the case.

This just goes to show that if you bought a long time ago and don't keep up with prices then it all comes a a big surprise :speechless1:

As Luftmensch mentions, at 1500USD the price doesn't after all seem all that wacky. unfortunately from the picks I couldn't spot the indentation or pin recess. In the end if you like, go for it, I repeat nice piece

regards

Alex

Alex and Luftmensch,

Thanks for you valued replies on this piece. Cased awards are one of my favorite collecting themes. I have asked the seller to hold this for me. But I would still value other Members thoughts before I confirm the purchase.

Mike

I agree, There's a well known saying "Two Heads are better then one", perhaps in this case other forum members could chip in and "35 heads are better than one"just for the sake of it, the Godet sticker on the base of my case

regards

Edited by Alex K

I agree, There's a well known saying "Two Heads are better then one", perhaps in this case other forum members could chip in and "35 heads are better than one"just for the sake of it, the Godet sticker on the base of my case

regards

That's a fantastic case, with an a+ original Godet label Alex. Your a lucky guy to Own that.

Mike

Hi Mike, I never really thought about the label other than a guarantee that it is obviously a Godet piece, Are these rarer than others? I honestly don't know, having said that, personally it would be nice to have a minty star inside. mine has obviously seen some "Battle damage", opinions are devided as to "mint or "battle scarred", preference, mine does at least seem to have seen some sort of action!!

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:

500 EUROS???? !!!

I am sorry, but that is FREAKIN' INSANE.

I don't care HOW beautiful one is, or whether it was lovingly hand crafted out of freshly mined platinum and inlaid with gen-u-wine rubies by 3 year old blind girls fed only on unstrained honey....

a TWM in WHATEVER fancy-schmansy private purchase de luxe incarnation is STILL the LOWEST award Ottoman Turkey had to give out.

For a German recipient, basically a HINDENBURG CROSS.

If this was a Hindenburg Cross would we be having this discussion?

If it was an EK 2 would we be having this discussion?

There is no rational way that it can be quote unquote "worth" this in any of our lifetimes.

HALVE that, for case fanatics, and it would still be high.

But then I cannot get over the insane--to me--escalation in prices for things which

no matter how gorgeous

are not RARE in and of themselves.

So, as a private purchase vanity item, this particular version doesn't show up as much as other makers' work? It is STILL only a TWM!!!

Just an old fart's long view. :catjava:

:Cat-Scratch:

500 EUROS???? !!!

I am sorry, but that is FREAKIN' INSANE.

I don't care HOW beautiful one is, or whether it was lovingly hand crafted out of freshly mined platinum and inlaid with gen-u-wine rubies by 3 year old blind girls fed only on unstrained honey....

a TWM is the LOWEST award Ottoman Turkey had to give out.

For a German recipient, basically a HINDENBURG CROSS.

If this was a Hindenburg Cross would we be having this dioscussion?

If it was an EK 2 would we be having this discussion?

There is no rational way that it can be quote unquote "worth" this in any of our lifetimes.

HALVE that, for case fanatics, and it would still be high.

But then I cannot get over the insnae--to me--escalation in prices for things which

no matter how gorgeous

are not RARE in and of themselves.

Just an old fart's long view. :catjava:

Well there you have it :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: ?perhaps my first prognosis about the price being too high was not that wrong afteral. maybe I'm getting senile in my old age, (Still like it though!) I bet your'e more confused than before now

Guest Rick Research

Ed: No. This isn't about a "Turkish" award, it's about a German jeweler-made "wearer's copy."

Alex: well if a TWM is "worth" 500 Euros-- no matter WHO made it, out of what,

I'll take best offer over 2,500 for the 50 times (at least) rarer ugly little recycled tuna fish can Liakats, or 25,000 for the 10 times (at least) rarer than that chunka-silver Imtiaz (gen-u-wine Turkish marked wartime made).

Crazy?

YOU BET.

That's my point.

I see the same reckless "tulip mania" (and that worked out so well for the Dutch in the 1600s :catjava: ) "investment" speculation or Must Have One Of Every Maker "pressure" with Iron Crosses.

Maybe it's a generational thing.

But there were 5 MILLION 1914 EK2s handed out. I don't CARE who stamped their brand on the ring for one. It's still an EK2.

I'm sure somebody WILL "cheerfully" pay 500 Euros for a cased Godet TWM.

Maybe 10 years from now somebody will be paying 500 Euros for the ubiquitous BB&Cos.

Maybe 20 years from now, every medal from every country in the world will be epoxied to the mirrored ceilings of crime tsars in Siberia.

But as all our mommies always said to us

"If everybody else jumps off a roof, would you, too?"

Guest Rick Research

I myself harbor deep, unnaturally lustful :unsure: feelings about Werner-made TWMs.

For me, THEY are the :love: of the :love: . My desire for Werner TWMs burns as brightly as my "special relationship" with Tamara Of Sainted Memory. :blush:

Yet even I would not pay more than 200 U.S. dollars for another Werner. At that price, I consider myself insane. At that price, I very likely never will get another one.

But at some point, reality has to intrude.

It's ONLY a TWM!

Hi,

I have to agree with Rick on this one. I've seen the prices for these go through the roof in just the last seven years or so. although not as sought after as the Godet, I bought my first off ebay back in 2000 for US $ 55.00 (BB&Co). You could get them at that price all day long. Go figure?!

Regards,

Sam

Edited by sambolini