News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Partisan Badge Database

Stogieman,

Nice badge and complete with the parachute. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, that piece is often missing. Is the lapel pin in your collection as well? Interesting note about the screw being soldered to the back of the badge. The one Charles posted has the same screw. One comment. The screw does not appear to be a "common wood screw". It looks like a metal screw. Can you confirm what kind of screw it is pleas.

Regards,

Gordon

Well, you know me..... I'm always looking to re-unite groups. if someone knows where that Combat Services medal is....... feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Rick

I think Rick Research's comment "common wood screw" is probably wrong. More along the lines of a pan-head metal screw. It does seem to be made this way and not as a replacement soldered on after the fact. The badge looks to be silver to me, but Rick R believes it to be some cruddy base metal.....

Sorry, yes. I do have the lapel stud as well. Pretty neat piece!

Also, the minis for the later type that are stamped with matching numbers are substantially heavier and of much better quality than the later, un-numbered miniatures.

Rick R. was wondering if the numbers on the backs actually coordinate to the Association Membership number?

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I can no longer edit the list on page 1 as I am no longer an active Moderator.

I have just acquired my first un-numbered example, Type 2.2!

Looks to be near mint, but alas, no case and/or package. Do we even know if these were passed out cased?

Any assistance appreciated!

Edited by Stogieman

Also seen on eBay:

unmatched set #5067

unmatched set #3662

loose Badge #3389

matched set #5160, uncased

loose badge #4883

Unmatched set #108
    Unmatched set #1339
    Unmatched set #5622
    Edited by Stogieman

• 3 months later...

Just found my way here thanks to Ulsterman.... and if I wasn't confused enough already I am now in need of a total lie down! :o

Just trying to concentrate on the WW2 Partisan period myself and can't really work out if these are all communist era awards or late issues?

Thanks for clearing that up Gordon! I was struggling to link it with my period of interest but it's a steep learning curve when moving into a new area of collecting.

Now... the WW1 fishing industry is another matter altogether. :D

Ulsterman,

It depends upon which badge is being referred to. The Partisans Badge of 1945 or the Hungarian Partisan Commemorative Badge. The Partisan Badge of 1945 began to appear in mid 1945. It is still unclear to me if this badge was created by the M-P-B-Sz, (Hungarian Partisan Fellowship Association) although I suspect this was the case, or the Hungarian Government. It was not until late October that regulations were written by the government allowing this Partisan Badge to be worn on army uniforms. The early Partisan Badge of 1945 were manufactured in the Soviet Union. Exactly how many or during what period is unknown to me.

The Hungarian Commemorative Partisan Badge, a modified design of the Partisan Badge of 1945, was was officially created by the Council Of Ministers on December 5th, 1954. This date was picked to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Hungarian Struggle for Freedom. The first of theses badges were not produced until 1955. Less than 7000 of these badges were produced then. After the first badges were awarded by the Hungarian Government, subsequent badges were awarded under the guidance of the MPBSz. Although I do not have any proof, I believe that the unnumbered, stay bright, Hungarian Partisan Commemorative Badges were produced by the MPBSz.

I apologize for my brief comments above. I should have been clearer.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Thanks for helping to clarify this area and so by wishing to collect only war or immediately post war Partisan items the field is actually very small. It seems that all of the Partisan/Resistance groups (or their Governments) produced medals and badges to 'commemorate' activities so it is very hard to decipher which is which when it comes to date?

For Poland, France, Holland etc. we have good dating evidence such as the Home Army Cross etc. but where the post-war Communist blanket covered individual national identity what came out was basically a Communist (or Russian) award and so more a celebration of Communist control than to mark the defeat of Fascism?

It still leaves me wondering exactly which badges are Hungarian/Yugoslavian/Czechoslovakian etc. and which are simply Russian propaganda bling!

Easty,

The period between the end of hostilities in Hungary and 1948 when the government became a communist controlled one was one of turmoil and little certainty. Very few awards were produced during those years. The government was more concerned about feeding the people than producing medals etc. As far as Hungary goes, if you are only collecting partisan war time of post war awards I would consider the ones produced in 1945 best suited to your collecting interests. Whether they were produced in the Soviet Union of Hungary wouldn't really bother me. Hungary simply did not have the capability to produce medals/awards etc. in the first years following the war. Historically, medals and awards were produced in the Hungarian State Mint and right after the war this was not possible to do. These 1945 badges are very rare especially those that still have the parachute attached. I have one of Soviet manufacture and one of Hungarian manufacture and the parachute is missing on both of them. Good luck in finding some for your collection.

Regards,

Gordon