News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Partisan Badge Database

• 4 weeks later...

List has been updated. :jumping:

Lets try and keep the posts relavant ( I would love to discuss the items on sale at Collect Russia - and their prices on a separate thread - IE not pinnned)

Edited by hunyadi

No - it would be good to get a database of any that we come across, thereby making note of what the highest number encountered is, how many of the various types we can find, etc... I was merely stating that it should not get into the current day market prices, etc...if so interested to discuss the collecting of Hungarian vs. Soviet due to prices or something like that we should start a separate thread. But - keep posting the answer to the mystery of how many were actually made is out there!

• 6 months later...

Gentlemen,

It has been a while since we have been able to add to this thread but I think it has been worth the wait. I picked up another cased set at today's Militaria Show and it is rather special in a couple of ways. It is number 5240. If you look at the vast majority of the small pins in previous posts you will see that they are usually in excellent condition with the gold finish still bright. My guess as to the reason for this is that they rarely, if ever, worn. The small badge I got today has obviously been worn considerably and to do that the original owner replaced the very small pin on the back, which must have been almost impossible to pin to a piece of clothing, with a pin so it could be worn as a stick pin. A much simpler and useful arrangement.

In additon it comes with a matching numbered document, something I have not seen before. Charles and I have hunted for a mathcing set but they were never available. Not only is this document numbered to match the badges but it is of a different type. Noy the small folder pictured in this thread up to now but the normal paper carrying document that was presented with all other awards.

Regards,

Gordon

Without more ado, the award in its case.

WOW!

That is amazing as it was awarded in 1974 - this beings to bring more pieces into the puzzle. I have a couple of award documents somewhere...will have to drage them out and compare numbers and award dates.

:jumping:

• 8 months later...

Stogieman,

From the number it was probably a late political award. Unfortunately, this is not a matched set. The small one is from the group of awards made up without any number. The miniature that would have come in this case would have had the same number as the large badge. Charles and I have discussed these bright coloured, unnumbered badges but I don't think we came to any conclusions as to whether they had actually been awarded or not. Perhaps Cimbineus will have something to say about these unnumbered badges?

Regards,

Gordon

I am pretty convinced that these brightly colored unnumbered miniatures are from the 1983 series, but as Gordon stated - there is not much to go on. I think that hundreds of these were made at the state mint for the 1983 badges and then the state mint sold them to collectors who then "added" the unnumbered minis to help complted the sets. Still they are nice sets and I have had several come to me in this manner.

• 4 months later...

Here's a cased, late numbered (6064) example. The mini is not numbered indicating a) the minis were no longer being numbered at this point, or b) an un-numbered mini has been substituted. A pretty nice badge, all in all, but has taken a bit of a rap on the right end of the red banner.

Greg,

The large and small badges were always numbered the same. The last Partisam badges produced, those in the bright gold for the large and small badges, were not numbered. I have seen a number of sets like yours where the small numbered badge has been replaced by a later issue unnumbered badge. To me, these sets are to be regarded as mismatched. Others on the fourm do not necessarily agree with my position. However, a cased set of badges that was first issued as a numbered pair and later ends up without both a large and a small badge numbered the same is not a set.

Regards,

Gordon

The minis on these and the minis for the commemoratvie medals of the Hungarian Soviet Republic always seem to be in short supply. More than likely the original numbered minis seem to be lost. Dealers like to match up with readily availble 1983 issue minis to make complete sets. At the flea markets and the militaria shows you can always find the gilded stay brite partizan minis in mass. The mint seems to have produced thousands of extra minis and then sold them in the early 1990's to the collector market. Still - its a nice set to have the badge and the case.

Edited by hunyadi

• 10 months later...