News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW II War Merit Cross 1st Class w/ Swords

Hello Everyone,

I just got this War Service Cross w/ Swords and would like some opinions at to whether it is the real deal or sould I be concerned?

The dealer I got this from is an honest enough guy but he deals in antiquities and only has a few medals as a side line. Anything he knows to be a reproduction is marked as such and priced accordingly.

I have searched this forum and could not answer my concerns so I am hoping that you might be able to assist me.

My concern is in the markings. They are not on the pin but on the obverse of the medal. Added to this the mark is not impressed into the medal but stands "proud" and was, it looks, part of a casting process rather than a struck medal. The mark is L/59 within a rectangle.

If this is not a correct medal I am sure I can return it.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Here is the obverse and the mark in question.

To the naked eye the "59" looks more like a "53" but under the glass it looks more like a "59".

The other thing I am questioning is the attachment pin area looks to have been ground to accept the solder and it looks like it was done well after the medal was made. Lots to make me worry, but an I worried for no reason?

Thanks again.

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Brian:

In the 1960's I ran across a number of reproductions by Carl Sieder of Vienna.

They all had maker's marks or inscriptions standing out "proudly", as you say,

rather than impressed (or stamped) into the metal as one might possibly see

on an original. The quality of Sieder's work varied. Some were pretty terrible,

while others (like his mothers cross) were much higher quality. But none of them

stood up very well against an original, and all had that tell-tale raised mark or

inscription.

Brian:

In the 1960's I ran across a number of reproductions by Carl Sieder of Vienna.

They all had maker's marks or inscriptions standing out "proudly", as you say,

rather than impressed (or stamped) into the metal as one might possibly see

on an original. The quality of Sieder's work varied. Some were pretty terrible,

while others (like his mothers cross) were much higher quality. But none of them

stood up very well against an original, and all had that tell-tale raised mark or

inscription.

Chesley:

Thanks for the information, I was worried about this one.

I guess that means a trip back to the dealer :angry: though I believe both of us were taken in.

Many thanks.

Brian

Chesley:

Thanks for the information, I was worried about this one.

I guess that means a trip back to the dealer :angry: though I believe both of us were taken in.

Many thanks.

Brian

Brian:

You shouldn't take my word alone on this matter.

This forum is populated by much more knowledgable individuals than myself.

Like you, I was simply worried by the look of the item.

Before going back to the dealer, I would wait for one of the experts here

to confirm your suspicions.

Best regards!

-Chesley

Hi Chesley,

Ok, I'll hold off until I hear from other members. I'm new to collecting German and would usually stick to Imperial but this one came up at the end of a trade (fossils for medals) to make up the difference between what the dealer wanted and I "needed". It was this or an Imperial item but I already had the Imperial item so I settled for this. I hope it was not a mistake, though one I can rectify which is not something that is always possible.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Brian