News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Frosty" EK1

Every now and again, a little something comes along that reminds me why second rate firms like Junker  biggrin.gif  could never hope to equal the quality of Steinhauer at their best.

Hi Gordon,

now that is really true! And what a nice cross that is! Beautifull!

Dietrich

gordon-

beautiful!

i have seen - and have - a copy of the BH Mayer

"russian horde", which i think is reminiscent of

this one.

do you have any thoughts as to it's relative quality,

or, for that matter, validity?

this condition, when found, is certainly an asset to

any collection.

joe

Joe,

I agree the "Russian" BH Mayer pieces are also very nice indeed. Here is mine in a direct comparison shot with the S&L (S&L on the left). For me its the "minty" condition of the "Russian" Mayer pieces which make them special. In aesthetic terms, I think the S&L has the advantage, a much more graceful curvature to the arms. For me, S&L are definitely the finest EKs, with W?chtler & Lange a close second.

I love the trapezoidal swastika on S&L's and the overall feeling of quality about them. They also made a superb EK2 with the same feeling of quality. I've never been able to really grasp the Juncker fixation when comparisons can be made to other manufacturers. Kleina nd Quenzer being another particular favourite of mine. I also have a good example of the "Russian horde". It is quite difficult to explain how different these crosses feel in terms of being unaged. Quite stunning really.

Gordon,

Beautiful pieces indeed. I have a "26" of the Russian horde and have always thought it the most beautiful thing, probably because it was my first EK but I see your point about the curvature of the S&L. I have an EK II by S&L but I figured comparing it to the "26" would be like apples and oranges.

Gordon,

Beautiful pieces indeed.  I have a "26" of the Russian horde and have always thought it the most beautiful thing, probably because it was my first EK but I see your point about the curvature of the S&L.  I have an EK II by S&L but I figured comparing it to the "26" would be like apples and oranges.

You're not alone Billy, I second the "26" nomination.